Very Strong Bracket for 2x4 Butt Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Is anyone aware of a pre-made bracket similar to the one below that I drew? I'm familiar with joist hangers, and they might work for this problem. They seem fine for vertical support but possibly somewhat flimsy for longitudinal support. The idea is to keep one 2x4 that is butt-connected to a second 2x4 from pulling away from it. I've drawn the bracket as 1/8" steel, and the wing widths are made up. A bracket like this would quickly solve a minor problem I have.

Stud Support 01.png

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Steve's got it. You probably don't need two but if you want to replicate the engineering concept of your design, you could.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
Might also consider using the Simpson structural screws they sell next to the Simpson ties depicted above. They are made to withstand additional forces when compared to drywall screws etc.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Joist hanger best way to go, the other way works be re inventing the wheel, if you do not want that 2by to ever move, liquid nails to butt end, use the simpson screws, then drive 4" screws thru the 2x you are butting to into the end of the 2x you are attaching

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Some PL400 or liquid nails and either 16d or 20d cement coated nails depending on the thickness of the framing materials should be sufficient enough.

The trick is to never hit the nail that last time.

DaveD

New User
Dave
The devil is in the details. If you are making a workbench that's one thing. If you are trying to reinforce a deck structure that is an entirely different animal. If that's a bracket on the ceiling and you are hanging a vertical 2x4 from the ceiling that will then support a load then that is a 3rd different scenario.

The weak point I see in your example is the ½" hole (if drawn to scale) is on a centerline 1" from the end of the 2x4. You only have ¾" of 'meat' left to the end of the 2x4. Not much at all.

If you need a heavy duty fastener you could make it out of a couple of pieces of 3" or 4" angle iron. Lighter duty, the Simpson strong ties would probably work.

If you are trying to fix a structural part of a deck there are different Simpson brackets you would want to use that haven't been mentioned yet.

Do a search on hurricane tie downs to see additional examples.

Cbozz

Chris
User
2x4s, especially modern ones, are not particularly strong elements. For most spans and uses, if you're loading it beyond what a joist hanger can take, the wood has deflected a lot more than you want it too well beforehand. It would have to be very short spans and very heavy loads.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's an install diagram for the Simpson ML24Z angle bracket that Steve Honeycutt mentioned.

http://diydoneright.com/products/angles/ml-angles/

BTW, what are you making that's going to require hurricane force support to stay together? Is your "longitudinal" movement concern the same as horizontal movement of the 2 x 4? It kind of looks like it from your SketchUp drawing.

This Simpson LUS style has double-shear nailing (toe nailing) which should give plenty of "longitudinal" stability.

http://diydoneright.com/products/joist-hangers/lus-joist/

cpw

New User
Charles
Mike,

Would something like this work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...uge-Galvanized-Medium-L-Angle-ML24Z/202071147

Close
Simpson Strong-Tie

Model ML24Z

Internet #202071147

Store SKU #474657

Store SO SKU #592854

Z-MAX 2 in. x 4 in. 12-Gauge Galvanized Medium L-Angle

0b03d2ec-edb3-4fae-816b-2be4000eb86a_1000.jpg

Double Tap Image to Zoom
0b03d2ec-edb3-4fae-816b-2be4000eb86a_65.jpg
ff375c8e-293f-4863-b268-09ba601daad3_65.jpg
796bdb54-210e-45c9-89fc-11761698e575_65.jpg

When I worked for the furniture store we used brackets similar to these as corner brackets for hard-side waterbeds. Most of the rails were made out of SYP two-by stock. The water in a king waterbed can weight up to 2000 lbs. Not sure what that translates to in terms of lateral force exerted against the rails and corner brackets, but I disassembled waterbeds that had been standing for 10-12 years with no visible sign of movement, wear, or stress on the corner brackets.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Is anyone aware of a pre-made bracket similar to the one below that I drew? I'm familiar with joist hangers, and they might work for this problem. They seem fine for vertical support but possibly somewhat flimsy for longitudinal support. The idea is to keep one 2x4 that is butt-connected to a second 2x4 from pulling away from it. I've drawn the bracket as 1/8" steel, and the wing widths are made up. A bracket like this would quickly solve a minor problem I have.

View attachment 20798

Since we are all woodworkers here, can you do this?
patlaw.JPG

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I think we lost patlaw...

No, we moved in a new-to-us house, and things are crazy. I'm sitting on a box with the keyboard on my knees and the mouse on the floor. It's hard to stay online very long.

I found a bracket at Home Depot that will work. Now I have to be able to find out where I put it down. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS