Veritas Saw Guide

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Anyone have the veritas saw guide? I’ve been looking at getting one for a few months and veritas seems to keep pushing back the availability date.

2964C514-D6EF-449D-97CD-19C9F45A8273.jpeg

I’ve sent an inquiry to Isaac at Blackburn tools as well since he seems to be the only other commercially available saw guide option

** And yes, I’m aware of multiple classes for saw sharpening available from folks on this great site, I won’t have time to take a class for a while. Practicing in my limited free time is what I can do now, so between videos and articles with actual practice I hope to learn how to sharpen some of my old hand saws. **

bbrown

Bill
User
Let us know if you find one. Looks like Blackburn Tools has stopped making them.
Thanks,
-Bill

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one as well. It works great.

You can make file guides with a protractor and small pieces of scrap (½"x¾"x3" should work).

For rake: Mark a line for your rake angle, drill a hole for the file's tip, and insert the file so that a face is parallel to the rake angle line you drew. Keep the top edge of the guide level with the floor, as you're filing.

For fleam: Mark a line for the fleam angle, make a saw kerf along that line, and place the guide on the saw. As you're filing, hold the file parallel to the guide, and move the guide as needed.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Guess I should have added—does anyone have either of the saw sharpening guides they want to sell?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Didn't Paul Sellers post a video recently on this?

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Found one! Shipped from Canada with all the files and file role.

Now I just have to wait until Christmas to “open

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have one it works well, that said I still use blocks of wood blocks to do the same thing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS