veneer strips on turned projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolly1

New User
Alan
Have any of you tried applying veneer trim strips to turned projects like pepper mills and bowls? I purchased a book on the subject but it turned out that it was more about turning the object than applying the veneer. Do you have to wet the strips so they will bend around the radius?:BangHead:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Interesting question Alan. I haven't even heard of this technique before and look forward to seeing some photos of a completed project as well as an explanation on how it is done. Hopefully one of the other members can shed some light on this for us.

D L

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
You might take a look at Fine Woodworking Vol. 173, p.108 (Nov/Dec 2004). The Master Class section dicusses veneering columns. If you think of your pepper mill as a small column, the methods could make sense. I'm pretty sure of the reference but will post back if its not the article I was thinking of.

rolly1

New User
Alan
This would be applied to the rim of a bowl or around the base of a pepper mill. It is a decorative trim veneer strip. It would be applied after the bowl or pepper mill had been turned close to the final dimensions. Then you would cut a shallow rebate just a little deeper than the veneer is thick. Glue the veneer into the rebate and then bring the surface flush with the veneer. I guess some would call the strips inlays they are 1/28th" thick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors