UV cured coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

timf67

New User
Tim
Hey everyone, long time since I've been regularly active on here! Hopefully this post won't break any rules - if so, please remove it. About 2 years ago, the company I work for developed a polish for a UV cured coating that was too hard for existing wood finishing polishes. I bought some of the coating and used it on an outdoor table (see pictures) that table has been on my covered porch for over 18 months and still looks new. The coating can be tricky (like any coating) but I was able to put three coats of finish on the table top in one hour! I used the sun to cure it (takes about 5 minutes in the sun per coat). Anyway, I love the product and as of a week ago the company I work for bought the rights to manufacture the coating. Part of our development of this product will be to learn the best ways to apply and cure the product, which means working with end users. The product is currently only available through a distributor out of Winston-Salem called OmnAvia interiors since the product is currently approved and sold for aircraft interior coatings (cabinets and woodwork). I thought I would post a link to a video showing it being applied and polished. I am also posting pictures of my outdoor table - note that i did not do any polishing of my table that gloss is the as cured finish!

https://youtu.be/yNiOlMKNxV4

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    593 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    768.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_3920.jpg
    IMG_3920.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 259

timf67

New User
Tim
Danny,

I made the table, and while the top has been finished for almost 2 years now, it was just sitting on top of our old table until I finally finished the base early this year. For the base, I used the bench bolts from Lee Valley for the ability to tighten it up over time and it also allowed me to completely coat each part of the base assembly before bolting it all together. The base is made from a single cherry beam that was about 4" by 8" by 16' long. While it doesn't get directly rained on, it gets wet all of the time. It is covered with dew most mornings, it gets wet from heavy "sideways" rains and I even have a picture of a dusting of snow covering it from last winter. The key was that I coated both the front and back at the same time.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    795.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3899.jpg
    IMG_3899.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 212

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It sounds too good to be true. VOC free, easy clean up, and can be recoated without sanding.

What are the negatives, if any?

Will it be available in different sheens?

How much does it run per gallon?

timf67

New User
Tim
LOL, yes it is pricey. I don’t know the exact pricing that the distributor charges, but I think it is around $170 a quart and $650 a gallon. It comes in 3 sheens and 3 thicknesses (seal coat, build coat and top coat). Like any finish, it has its negatives. I have used it at work and at home and it can be finicky, but when you do it right, it is awesome stuff. Surface prep is important (as with any finish) use pore filler on open pore woods and wipe down the surface with isopropyl alcohol before applying. Any oils (like BLO) need to be completely dry - at least a week or more to be safe - before applying. And don’t touch the wood or surface before/between coats with your bare hands or the oils from your skin will keep the coating from laying flat (DAMHIKT!). The curing is also important, make sure it is a sunny day or that you have a UV cure lamp of at least 500 watts. If you don’t hit it with enough light it won’t cure properly and will be tacky/sticky to the touch. The last negative is the odor. Despite being 100% solids, it has a distinct odor due to the sulfur based chemistry used. Not the most pleasant odor, but once cured the odor is gone.

timf67

New User
Tim
Remember, this was designed for the aerospace market. We are working on versions for marine bright work, flooring and architectural markets that will have better price points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS