Using Shoe Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevens62

New User
Jim Stevens
Has anyone tried using shoe wax instead of wood paste? I have been told is works just as good and costs a lot less.

sapwood

New User
Roger
No personal experience here Jim. However the Woodworker's Journal 250 Best Shop Tricks recommends coating tablesaw top with clear shoe polish. However, about 240 of the 250 "tricks" were all but useless. :roll:

Roger

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I may try that, I have lots of black polish left over from my time in the army:slap:

okay, no black polish on top of my ts, jointer, or planer... maybe I have some clear somewhere???? seems it would be more expensive than regular paste wax, though?

M

McRabbet

If it has silicone in it, I'd avoid it like the plague. Bad stuff around your shop because if it contaminates any wood surfaces you want to finish, they won't adhere.

Just my .02

Rob

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Lol, I picked up a few cans of Johnson's Paste Wax at Walmart a few months back. They had them marked down to a buck each. Nothing much cheaper than that!

McRabbet is right about the silicone. Make SURE it has NONE, which I'm not sure you can actually be sure of.

jstevens62

New User
Jim Stevens
Thanks for the advice everyone, I was having a hard time finding some ebony wax and was looking for alternatives. But then realized, after going back, Woodcraft had some and I just did not look hard enough. So I will keep the shoe polish for my shoes :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS