Using a Router sled to flatten lumber

DRC

Danny
Senior User
I work out of a small area (12 x 16) with very limited storage for my tools. I have been thinking about trying a router ski sled for planing operations. I mostly make small items and usually don't have a need to surface multiple boards at one time. Would this be practical as an idea to save space? I do know sleds are used on large slabs for tables and such. Lowes has a Dewalt planer on sale for $399 which is tempting but probably not practical due to the space I have available. Any ideas are appreciated.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
I’m not sure a router sled would take up any less space than a Dewalt planer. How do you get your stock and what condition is it in when you get it?

DRC

Danny
Senior User
I thinking I would be able to hang a router ski or sled on the wall or shelf. I have some rough cut cedar about an inch thick I would be working with to start. This is a router ski I am thinking about making.

Attachments

• 46448.jpeg
    46448.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 90

awldune

Sam
User
A router sled works well for things that you can't put in a normal planer, but it is very messy and slow and requires a lot of work space. A lunchbox planer can be stowed under a workbench or attached to a rolling cart, etc.

AdamO

Update your profile with your name
User
You'll hate yourself if you go this route. I think it would be better to do your best with hand tools than go with a router sled for normal lumber. I've used the router sled setup for a big slab, and yes, it works, but it's no planer. You'll still have to clean it up, and it will take forever compared to a planer. I bought a Dewalt lunchbox planer off Craigslist for $100 15 years ago, and that dang thing is still going. Stuff it under something when you're not using it, but it's sure nice to have when you need it.

ssmith

New User
Scott
+1 on buy a lunchbox planer UNLESS the stock you plan to plane is too short or thin to run though one safely.

A sled can be very useful in limited situations, but do you really want to take on all the extra work it takes to use one?

Howie

New User
Howie
Planer does not flatten cupped stock. Check out all the avail. bit tooling. W/a wood base / large dia. hole combo there are options that would make the work go quick. Also consider looking at an old Wallace short bed jointer, some wide beds were made and they are BUILT.
1675441549326.png

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
+1 on PopPop's comment:
"Using winding sticks and a scrub plane for the hogging phase will make your leveling chore go more quickly."
Especially if you will be working on smaller projects.
Lots of how-to vids on YouTube.

DRC

Danny
Senior User
The input is much appreciated. Probably hand planing is the way to go for my projects. I'm asking questions so I can learn. Thanks again for the replies.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
+1 also for the lunch box planner. I put of getting one for similar reasons. After getting one I kick myself for not doing it sooner. It’s a game changer. Highly recommend the Dewalt DW735. Even without the helical head it’s awesome. Just keep your eye out and you can find a good used one for $400.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I made a planer sled for my Dewalt planer. I use shims and hot glue to hold my lumber flat. It works well to get one side flat. I thought router sleds were for massive slabs.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
i used to process wide lumber using the process that poster Pop-Pop stated, all you need to do is get the one side flat, but not pretty. You can then use a planer to flatten the second side, then use the planer to finish the first side.

Wide jointers are harder to come by than wide planers..

whitecrane8

New User
Oberon
Depends on how often you need it. I used a router sled on some small exotic wood glue ups and it worked perfectly. I also have a small surface planer that, honestly, I use rarely. On reflection would have been better served putting the planer cash into router table upgrades

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS