Use of a Planer at least 16” Wide

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a cedar “cookie” that my mother wants me to turn into a clock. I have a 16” drum sander that I was planning to use to make it nice and smooth. However, I started looking at it tonight and noticed a difference of about 1/2” or more of thickness from 1 side to the other. That’s more that I want to do with my drum sander. Does anyone have at least a 16” wide planer, in the area, that wouldn’t mind sending this “cookie” through for a few passes.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Robert - we could flatten it on my CNC, although it will take longer than a planer.

Planer-wise, I think a conventional straight knife planer would tear the heck out of the stock. A Shelix-style might handle it well tho.

-Mark

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
how long on a cnc do you think. If I can get it close the drum sander can take it the rest of the way

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Sounds like a job for a router based surfacer, especially being end grain. Not difficult to make one, especially for a one time use

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Agree with Bruce….easy day on router sled with a 2” flattening bit. Plenty of videos out there on how to make one. That will get you super close and then run it thru your drum sander.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
83CE13CA-4CE1-439C-8681-A2E6064A8D4A.jpeg
I have a router sled you are welcome to use. Only take 15-20 minutes. Unfortunately I am in Bath NC

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
how long on a cnc do you think. If I can get it close the drum sander can take it the rest of the way
At a guess..around an hour. Depends how out of flat it is, and if both sides need surfacing.

A router sled is another good idea..it's just a CNC without the CNC :)

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors