Use for Plastic Tubing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayH

New User
Ray
Having lost a recent bout with pneumonia:wsad:, it appears I will be on oxygen for the foreseeable future. It seems the tubing associated with this is considered to be "consumable" and requires periodic replacement. Once replaced, the oxygen supply company has no use for it. As a result, I have begun collecting a supply of it and hate to see it just trashed (or even recycled in the big bin).

Can anyone think of a constructive shop use for it? The segments run in 4, 7, 25, and 50 foot lengths. It is about 1/4 inch OD and 1/8 or 3/16 inch ID. I have no idea of its composition, but everything seems to be labeled "non-latex."

If there is a reasonable (and legal) use for it, I may be able to supply it to anyone who can use it. It is all definitely USED and should not be considered sanitary in any way. If anyone knows of any reason that it should not be further used in the shop:eusa_naug, please let me know and I will withdraw this offer.

Thanks,
Ray

Mods - if this is in the wrong place, or inappropriate for any reason, please move or remove it:slap: - Thanks.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Well, you can start building aquariums for a living. :widea:
It's the perfect size, and lengths, for all the air lines.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
The local high school chemistry and science teachers might be able use some of it. They might have all kinds of ways to use it.

DanR

New User
Dan
It might be good to protect the tips of small tools (maybe miniature turning tools?). I use larger diameter tubing to protect the tips of regular size turning tools.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Vacuum lines for a vacuum press. I have used both this type hose, poly water line (1/4", and reinforced hose like is on a fountain drink machine.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Vacuum lines for a vacuum press. I have used both this type hose, poly water line (1/4", and reinforced hose like is on a fountain drink machine.

I rather like this idea.:icon_thum I know a vacuum press is on my own to-do list one of these days. Probably a venturi type vacuum driven by a large air compressor.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
your tubing likely is too thin-walled (and too small a bore) to work with a vacuum system - it's designed to work under slight positive pressure, and will collapse under the vacuum required for veneering. Since it's slightly elastic, you might find use in specialty clamping situations of boxy structures

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
That tubing may work well for vacum apps if it is a "Star Channel" style design. If you cut it see if it is a star shape to prevent occlusion when stepped on or kinked. Most Homecare companies use this style tubing. Unfortunately that design will limit some of its other uses as a cylinder.

RayH

New User
Ray
That tubing may work well for vacum apps if it is a "Star Channel" style design. If you cut it see if it is a star shape to prevent occlusion when stepped on or kinked. Most Homecare companies use this style tubing. Unfortunately that design will limit some of its other uses as a cylinder.

Dan - excellent point. I have no idea how much vacuum one of the veneering systems pull or how much this tubing will stand.

As Mark notes, this tubing is labeled "crushproof" and has 3 beads equally spaced around the inner diameter and running length-wise.

If anyone would like to try it, or even just to experiment with it, let me know. I can drop off a sample most anywhere around Raleigh, and could mail, or maybe PE a foot or two outside the area.

Ray

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I rather like this idea.:icon_thum I know a vacuum press is on my own to-do list one of these days. Probably a venturi type vacuum driven by a large air compressor.
Go to Air-Vac's web site (air-vac-eng.com/) and look at the AVR-093H. It's the basis for several commercial systems, but a heck of a lot cheaper ($30 plus shipping). Takes about 2.0 cu ft of air per minute, which means a one HP compressor is adequate. I have a couple.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Cut sections, split and use to protect the teeth on hand saws, saw blades, ?????

cpw

New User
Charles
Cut sections, split and use to protect the teeth on hand saws, saw blades, ?????

+1 That's the first thing that came to mind. I've purchased a couple of saws and saw blades that came with flexible tubing over the teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors