Use for old chest freezer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
We've got an older chest style deep freeze that we've kept in our garage. It's been acting a bit flakey lately (don't know if it just needs a good defrost, a tuneup, or major repair) and we've decided we don't really need it as a freezer anymore. The current plan is to just take it to the dump but then I wondered if there would be any use for it in the shop for storage. Thoughts? Can y'all come up with any creative uses?

Thanks,

Travis

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
According to WOOD Magazine (Issue 200, page 42), an old freezer minus the refrigeration unit, makes a good cabinet for storing cans of finish.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
According to WOOD Magazine (Issue 200, page 42), an old freezer minus the refrigeration unit, makes a good cabinet for storing cans of finish.

I thought I had read something about that somewhere.... Thanks, I'll have to think about that.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Best place to store dog and cat food or any stock animal feed.

Can be made into a small drying kiln, food dehydrator, fish pond, raised garden and other things i guess. Plenty of reasons not to toss in the landfill.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
And, if the landfill does end up being the best choice for you, just let me know, and I will come and pick it up instead.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I replaced my 30+ yr old chest freezer last year. The Habitat ReStore on 15-501 near Chapel Hill picked it up at my house. They said it was too old to put in the store, but they had someone who would take old freezers for parts. This was a quick and easy way to get rid of it.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for the great ideas guys!

Mark, If I decide not to repurpose it you've got first dibs.

Mike - Can you talk more about the drying kiln idea? I'm intrigued, thinking about turning stock, etc.... What would be involved?

Thanks again,

Travis

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some folks here, Rob comes to mind, have build bowl drying contraptions using old fridges.

I think its a small exhaust fan and a light bulb for heat.

You might also use it for a parts washer or big electrolysis vat.

Hey, if you air compressor would fit inside, that'd make a pretty easy soundproof box for it!

Jim

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Depending on what's causing the flakiness, it may be useful for beer makers. Some home brewers use them at refrigerator temps along with an extra external thermostat. (i.e., no problems with need for defrost... but obviously, if it couldn't hold a temperature, it'd be less than useful). ;)

Depending on size, they generally go for about $75-150 on CL.

sawduster

New User
Robert
Make a kiln dood . From what I've read it's really not that difficult ....as Jim said , a bulb and some exhaust and it would be perfect for pen blanks and small bowl blanks :icon_thum
would make a good worm farm too :banana:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now, Robert. If a guy has THAT many worms, he'll probably start don' some serious fishin', an' then the woodworkin' thing goes out the winder! :gar-La;:gar-La;

Rob

New User
Rob
Yep, I've used mine to dry pen and stopper blanks with great success. I've dried bowl blanks, but they warp pretty good. I still need to experiment with bowl blanks. I put a cabinet fan in mine, but most of the time I don't use it.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
I have an upright freezer if anyone wants it. It's not very old & I think it still works. It's free!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Soo... I took a hard look at my space, my pre-existing to-do list, and my time available in the upcoming weeks and months. There's no way I'm going to get to a project using this freezer so I'll offer it up in the classifieds as a "future drying kiln" but I wanted to give folks already in the thread first dibs. It's free for the taking, 6.1 Cubic Ft. Let me know...

Travis

freezer.JPG

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS