Updated to Grizz 2hp DC gloat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Does anyone have this DC, and how would you rate it?

g1029z2.jpg

Last edited:

eyekode

New User
Salem
Re: ? Members with Grizz 2 HP DC

I have one. It sucks :). ok ok, I will be more specific. It works as good as can be expected by a 2 HP non-cyclone. You need a finer filter to pick up the really fine stuff and you need a cyclone to keep the filter clean. I have neither and get by. I use a 3M respirator whenever working with nasty stuff.

That being said it will not fully evacuate my G0690 table saw. And does nothing for above the table dust collection. It does however give me chip free planeing and jointing (although I have clogged the inlet before, it really needs to be converted to 5 or 6" pipe).

Salem

mxracer

New User
Dan

I'll kinda second that. :wsmile:

I first used mine as a stand alone unit and it did "Ok". As Salem said... as much as you can expect from it and the upper bag is pretty porous.

However, I then used just the motor in front of a 55 gal drum with a Thein baffle and it did a lot better. I have since added a 1hp delta behind the drum and it's working great.

All in all if you have the coupons etc. that bring it down to the $149 price (I think that's what it is) it's not bad for the money.

Dan

gator

George
Corporate Member

I have the older version (about 8-9 year old). I replaced the upper bag with a American Bag company bag and put a trashcan separator in front. I have all 4" ducting. I installed a blast gate at each machine and so long as I run that machine alone with all of the other gates closed in does an acceptable job. Is is perfect, does it get all of the dust, no, but it is better than nothing and I can't afford a cyclone.

George

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

I don't have this cyclone, so I can not comment on my experiences (I have a 2HP JDS Cyclone). You'll want to replace this unit's 2.5 micron filter bag with a 1-micron filter for your health's sake. 2.5 microns is better than the 5+ micron bags that many single-stage DCs ship with, but still not adequate. For optimal performance you'll really want to replace the felt filter material with a 1-micron canister filter, then you should have a decent single-stage dust collector.

If your wallet allows, I would encourage you to seriously consider a 2HP cyclone DC. The upgrade to a cyclone is well worth the money and you will never regret the investment.

A well-built cyclone DC will always out-perform a single-stage DC. Plus, with a cyclone you won't EVER have to worry about the consequences of large debris (including wood, screws or nails) getting sucked into your DC. With a single-stage DC these large debris items have to physically pass through the impeller (fan), with a cyclone they just make a little racket as they bounce against the cyclone funnel before falling harmlessly into your primary waste bin! You also benefit from an increase in static pressure, and thus suction, with a cyclone (more efficient impeller), which means more airflow through the same hose/opening. My 2HP cyclone can keep up with my 13" planer with 25ft of 4" flexible hose between it and the planer or my 8" jointer with 10ft of flexible hose.

If you have not already done so, this is also a great time to look into an ambient air cleaner for your shop. A dust collector (with 1-micron filter) of any type and a 1-micron ambient air cleaner really complement one another. The dust collector keeps most of the dust out of the air to begin with by capturing it at the source, preventing it from becoming airborne, while the air-cleaner mops up the fine dust that does escape primary capture. I use a JDS 750-ER (750CFM filtered, 1050CFM w/o filters -- mentioned because many manufactures specify maximum CFM with filters removed, which is a pointless number really).

eyekode

New User
Salem

I am going to guess from your price you have the HF version. I don't think it has the same motor as the Griz. Mine looks like an honest 2 HP continuous duty motor. The pictures of the HF don't look the same (and it cannot run on 220v).

But!! If buying a new DC the HF is probably the best value. Of course that is debatable if you buy it, upgrade it, still wish for more and end up buying a cyclone...

Salem

Don Alexander

New User
Don

i have mine setup with no bags at all it exhausts into a chip box and it works great no fine dust issues because none of it is in the shop and no emptying bags every little bit either the chip box will hold 5-6 times what the bag would and its a cinch to empty too

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Not the same as an HF, tests done previously show that the HF model is a true 1.5 hp.

That being said, I have the Grizzly and it's about 10 years old, hook it straight up to athien seperator and use 6" pipe and it will suck like no other DC for the price. As stated previously, there is almost no fine dust left when set up properly.

NCTurner

New User
Gary

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Don I would love to see some pics of your setup.

Don Alexander

New User
Don

Gary;

i can do you one better if you have some time to come look at it :gar-Bi

the shop is near the intersection of 401 and Simpkins Road Raleigh address

the way its setup pictures don't show you much except some pipe and OSB

PM coming

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

I also have the G1029 from 8-9 years ago. I replaced the upperbag with a homebrew cannister filter (this was before DC cannister filters became the rage for home shops) and use it with a cheapo trashcan separator.

It would probably work better if I hard-piped my connections, but I make do with a coil of flex-hose.

No complaints for the money.

-Mark

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

Mine does ok but its hard piped with 6" PVC and has a Cannister on it.....still it dosesnt get everything......now if I could get 1/4 of dust from mitersaw I would have something...:eek:ccasion1

NCTurner

New User
Gary

Why I asked, here is my new toyl I will be picking up on Sun. can't tell you what I paid, but it was a nice deal. Complete with upgraded Jet 1 mic filter.

!B70mzJg!mk~$(KGrHqR,!hQEyribN)ByBM1Y!utk7Q~~_12.JPG

!B70nDk!!2k~$(KGrHqV,!gsEy182,0!KBM1YBPm+,!~~_12.JPG

!B70nWtQBmk~$(KGrHqZ,!i!EzLKYclTPBM1YB2nP7w~~_12.JPG

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan

I'm glad it has the 1-micron canister conversion, that is precisely what you needed.

Enjoy! :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Ahh man, another one bites the dust. :sad11: I guess I'm the only one left using the "broom and dust pan" method. :rotflm: Nah, congrats bro! Nice score! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

paul dyar

New User
paul
I have had one since 96. The motor failed after about 2 years, think it got lot of the fine dust in it. Replaced the motor,and built small add-on to the garage and put it in the add-on. Moved in 06 and have had it outside since, no bags. I think it is a very good DC for the money

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS