UPDATED - On today's edition of Name That Tree...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Our first contestant is from Cary, NC and resides at the corner of [STRIKE]Buck[/STRIKE] Jones Franklin Rd and Macedonia (where [STRIKE]Buck[/STRIKE] Jones Franklin ends at the stop sign near Walnut). Sorry abot the crappy cell phone picture; I will add a better close up of that log lying on the ground in a bit, because it followed me home.

tree4.jpg

Very scrubby, somewhat gnarly tree with almost no straight branches.

CarvedTones

Andy
Re: On today's edition of Name That Tree...

A couple of additional pictures...

mistree1.JPG

I will cut it shorter and assuming the checks don't go too far I will seal it. If they do, then I guess I have firewood.

mistree2.JPG

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Andy, is that the tree outside of that little car dealership, next to the gas station? If so, I've been eying that for the past week or so. Actually pulled over and looked at it (from the car) and didn't see anything really good looking, but it looks like you may have seen some that I didn't. Interested to hear what kind of tree it is. :eusa_thin

Edit: Corner of Macedonia and Jones Franklin

CarvedTones

Andy
Trent,

Yes, it is. I have trouble "keeping up with the Joneses" :) and got the street wrong. I edited my original post. I am not sure if it is anything special or not, but I figured it was hardwood and different than anything I have. It looks to have rays.

Travis,

The sweetgum I have came from a much larger tree and has dark heartwood that dramatically contrasts the sapwood. This stuff is very light colored and tans with exposure.

All,

The checks don't go deep. I cut an inch off one end and they are gone.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
My bet is pecan. I have several pieces in the back yard that look identical.

Go

CarvedTones

Andy
Mulberry and if I get moderated this time I give up

Some opinions we are allowed to express here and I think this is one. The mulberry I have has this awesome rock hard golden heartwood surrounded by a ring of pop tart crust that passes for sapwood. OK, maybe the sapwood isn't quite that soft but there is a definite drop off. This wood only has a thin center of very dark soft stuff that is so small I am not sure it it is heartwood (if it is, then maybe Travis' quick guess is correct). The light colored wood that makes up 95 + % of the log is very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS