Update to Stanley Jack Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I bought a Stanley #5 Jack Plane off eBay thinking it would have the cambered blade iron. It didn't so I bought a cheapo blade to practice on. Read some articles, watched some videos and made a simple jig. Looks like it turned out OK. I got it to 400 grit so far.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 245

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I cut a piece of MDF the same with of the iron. Used a compass to mark out an 8" circle, then used my band saw and circle jig to cut it out.

Its pretty much like the jig in Stmpy's video, except I used washer head screws to hold the iron to the MDF and used the tool rest on a bench grinder to rough it out. Then used the tool rest on my Worksharp to clean it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXd1EICC1GM

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Here's the pic of the jig. Couldn't get it to upload this morning from my phone.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 206

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I noticed he ground the rough edge by hand then used the jig on the Workshop. I also ground by hand but then also sharpened by hand on diamond stones.

Will have to play around and see if there is some way a jig might help me with the grinding.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Using the jig to do the roughing out, I had to loosen the screws and advancing the blade a little at a time. Also. with the cambered edge, I wasn't able to use my Veritas honing guide to set the angle. I had to eyeball it against a straight iron.

MikeH

New User
Mike
That looks awesome!

Mike Davis....Do you have plans for another sharpening class anytime in the near future?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If there is enough interest we can do one any time. The next three weekends are spoken for but after that I'm open.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Eddie, What radius did you use for your cambered blade? Never mind...I see it’s 8”

Also, does the other side of that blade have the same milling marks or is it smoother?

Last edited:

tdukes

New User
Eddie
Eddie, What radius did you use for your cambered blade? Never mind...I see it’s 8”

Also, does the other side of that blade have the same milling marks or is it smoother?

Yes, I used 8". I also flatten the back and finished the edge and back to 1000 grit. The angle should be close to 30 but kinda had to eyeball it. Maybe between 25 and 30 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS