UPDATE - .4mm PEEK wire FOUND!

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, I have always read your posts with interest and fascination; I have also viewed your videos detailing the processes associated with harpsichord construction. While I have nothing to offer with regard to sourcing PEEK wire material, I continue to marvel at your craftsmanship.

Thanks Donn - I really appreciate your kind words.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
In the store today and lots of paint brushes with bristles, but way too thin and weak for your application.

Personally, Harpsichords make my skin crawl and I wish them to go away, along with war pipes. :p

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie. I am searching but have some questions
Is the .4mm (400um) the outside diameter of the Peek tubing or the diameter of the wire inside the tubing. What size drill do you use to pass this thru? Peek insulated wire is commonly used in high-end small motor windings such as brushless motors used in RC boats that race in salt water
I have a few of those and I can unwind one

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie. I am searching but have some questions
Is the .4mm (400um) the outside diameter of the Peek tubing or the diameter of the wire inside the tubing. What size drill do you use to pass this thru? Peek insulated wire is commonly used in high-end small motor windings such as brushless motors used in RC boats that race in salt water
I have a few of those and I can unwind one
Phil

The outside diameter is .4mm. Actually, my 17th century harpsichord clouded brain did not even realize there was wire inside, and I'm amazed this can be done on, or in, a wire whose diameter is similar to a human hair.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Can you tell what the wire is? Copper, stainless or steel. Is it attracted to a magnet?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does the Peek coating strip off?
Could be a fiber optic filament

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Does the Peek coating strip off?
Could be a fiber optic filament
Phil - I tried to scrape the coating off with an exacto knife, and couldn't do it. As far as I can tell, the PEEK is a solid wire with no filament inside. It appears I have awakened the Dick Tracy in you, and for that I apologize. If you're really interested in solving the mystery, I'm happy to send you a sample of the PEEK I use.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie,
when I Google PEEK wire, I see links to Magnet wire (this has become VERY popular with the Qi wireless charging systems) that are so popular now - I see links to granger and Zoro for low prices, but 90+ feet of it...

I was wondering if music wire or memory wire would perform that same function, but there may be other considerations (abrasion of the mating member, "Set" in the wire etc.)

Finally, since these are essentially "Springs" is there an alternate product (silicone, PET, 3-D printed spring, etc.) material available today, that wasn't available in the 1300' -1400's that you are willing to use in place of the boar's hair? Obviously this may require a re-engineering of the keyboard, but it could be fun to develop an alternate solution...

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie,
when I Google PEEK wire, I see links to Magnet wire (this has become VERY popular with the Qi wireless charging systems) that are so popular now - I see links to granger and Zoro for low prices, but 90+ feet of it...

I was wondering if music wire or memory wire would perform that same function, but there may be other considerations (abrasion of the mating member, "Set" in the wire etc.)

Finally, since these are essentially "Springs" is there an alternate product (silicone, PET, 3-D printed spring, etc.) material available today, that wasn't available in the 1300' -1400's that you are willing to use in place of the boar's hair? Obviously this may require a re-engineering of the keyboard, but it could be fun to develop an alternate solution...

Hank

.022" spring brass wire has been used as an alternative for quite a while.
As I understand it, the advantage of PEEK is once you find the right diameter
of this wire, it generally needs no adjustment - set it and forget it. This is
very appealing to builders because harpsichord owners sometimes try to fix a note that isn't working properly by bending everything that bends, and turning everything that resembles a screw. The saying 'if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail' is probably true. Brass wire can kink - PEEK doesn't..

There's a good chance that one of the alternatives you mentioned would work.
Memory wire looks possible, but it's flat instead of round. Magnet wire doesn't seem to come in small enough diameters. The search goes on.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions. I finally found a company in Germany that is
sending me 1,000 feet (a lifetime supply) at no charge. All they want is for me to pay the shipping costs.
My sincere thanks to the Monosuisse company for their generosity. The search is over.

There are little tiny springs in the action of a harpsichord. Traditionally, these were made using boar bristle which is very hard to find. The most used alternative is monofilament fishing line, but it's quite springy and it's quite difficult to
adjust the tension. Using .4mm PEEK wire was suggested to me, and I was able to purchase a small amount from Australia. It is, by far, the best product for my needs. However, most people have never heard of PEEK wire, and the
only sources I've been able to find want you to buy giant amounts that I couldn't use up in 10 lifetimes.

If anyone here knows what PEEK wire is and has a source for it, please let me know.
bump

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ernie, you mentioned that 1,000 feet is a "lifetime supply"... just out of curiosity, how much PEEK wire goes into one harpsichord?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, you mentioned that 1,000 feet is a "lifetime supply"... just out of curiosity, how much PEEK wire goes into one harpsichord?
Donn - 20 to 25 feet, depending on how many notes the instrument has.

Reactions: drw

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS