Upcoming Handtool Workshops

Status
Not open for further replies.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Here is a listing and description of upcoming workshops that may be of interest. The saw sharpening and scraper workshops are new. All are conducted in my shop except the dovetailed box class. Email me for details.

Sharpening Handsaws. July 19 1 day
Hands on experience sharpening rip and cross cut handsaws. We will explore the anatomy and purposes of various types of handsaws, how to clean up and restore handsaws. We will look at various types of jigs and gauges useful for sharpening, and evaluate different types of sawsets. Each student will sharpen both a rip saw and a crosscut saw. We will also spend time developing handsaw techniques, particularly backsaws.

Traditional Molding Plane. August 8-9 2 day
Make a simple side escapement molding plane using traditional tools and floats. Students will make and fit a plane blade and will use this plane to cut a piece of molding. We will explore several different methods of shaping the profile of a molding plane including scratch stock, mother planes and a variety of other types of planes. We will also cut and shape, harden and temper the blade for the plane.

Simple Dovetailed Box. August 15-16 2 day
Learn the skills and techniques necessary to design and layout simple through dovetails. We will explore the types and the structure of dovetails, look at the various tools and jigs that are necessary and also make a simple dovetail jig useful for laying out these joints. On the second day we will make a simple dovetailed box suitable for pencils or long matches, with a sliding top. This workshop is conducted at the Woodcraft Store, Raleigh NC, 919-781-1911. (http://www.woodcraft.com)

All About Scrapers. August 29 1 day
We will cover the complete range of card scrapers, cabinet scrapers and scraper planes, how to adjust these tools and how to get the best results from them. Learn to sharpen and adjust scrapers to apply a smooth surface to your work. We will make several useful jigs for use in preparing card scrapers for use.

Traditional Toted Smoother. Sept 5-6 2 day
Make a close-handled coffin-shaped smoothing plane using traditional tools such as mortise chisels, floats, and curved rasps. Students will fit a traditionally forged plane blade and use the plane to smooth a panel.

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
The dovetailed box workshop is very much like David Keller's Moriavian candle box, except that it is of a size for long fireplace matches, and it is meand to be painted with a milk paint finish.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was prepared to go to the saw sharpening work shop tomorrow the 19th. But I am in the middle of installing a vsm on my lathe and I'm wiped out. So, I called Bill to let him know I won't be there and he said the workshop is next weekend the 26th and there is still one more place available if anybody wants to go.

So, I plan to be in Chapel Hill next Sunday the 26th.

I wish I could come a day early and visit the tool extravaganza at Ed Hobbs farm. 5 hours (round trip) is a long time to drive and I just can't do it two days in a row.

M

McRabbet

Mike,

Take a small tent, air mattress and sleeping bag and spend the night at Ed's Farm (you could even drive down Friday noght and be there early to get the best deals on Saturday morning) -- there are several folks that camp out each year and I'm sure he'd welcome you coming. And if Dino Drosas is coming in style like he did last year from Myrtle Beach, you might be able to con a bunk in his Motor Home! If you seriously want to go, send Ed Hobbs an email tonight to register -- there is a $5 surcharge after today on late registrations. Here's an excerpt from the flyer that was posted in this thread. His phone number and address is also listed there.

Our policy for guests is to allow them to attend for $15 for one time to see what goes on and to find out about the benefits of belonging to MWTCA. If you have attended as a guest before and wish to attend again as a guest you are welcome, however, you will be charged the full meeting cost of $20.

To ensure we have adequate food, beverages and facilities, we are again requiring pre-registration. Please complete the form below and send it in so it is received by July 18. To get to the farm, take Exit 299 (Lake Wheeler Rd) off of I-40/440 in Raleigh. Go out of town. You will go about 2 miles and cross over Tryon Rd. Continue on Lake Wheeler Rd for ¾ mile then turn left on Inwood Rd. Go ¾ mile and farm is on left. Please park on the road. Ed Hobbs, 4417 Inwood Rd, Raleigh, NC 27603-3315 Tele 828-2754 Email hobbsed@portbridge.com
Also, please note that there will be a $5.00 late registration fee added for anyone that has not pre-registered by July 18.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Return this form with your check made out to MWTCA Area Q to the address above by July 18. If this is your first time attending,
enclose $15 for each person. If you have been here before, please enclose $20 for each person.
Name of TWA member(s) ____________________________Name of TWA member(s) ___________________________________
TOTAL ENCLOSED: ________

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Handsaw sharpening workshop

My handsaw sharpening workshop was postponed from July 19 until July 26, mainly because I just got back from teaching Windsor chairmaking at Brasstown on the 18th. Not sure why I thought I could turn right around and do another workshop............

I have 3 people tentatively signed up but no committments. If anyone is interested, I will put them on awaiting list.

This would be a great opportunity to vist the MWTCA meeting on Saturday at Ed Hobbs' farm, buy a couple of neat saws for very good prices, then rehab them the next day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS