Universal Mobile Base @ NT....any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Hi guys & gals,

I saw that Northern Tool has this mobile base on sale this weekend and wondered if anyone has used it and can vouch for it's value or lack thereof. I realize there may be better ones out there, but for $29 bucks, I can't build one for less using HF casters and plywood. My local store does not stock this item, so would have to order and have shipped to local store to get free shipping.

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200483216_200483216

Brent

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Maybe none of you have this base, so let me ask those who have & use mobile bases to comment on whether they see problems with this design or does it look like what you have that works well. I am planning to use it for my drill press, band saw and jointer. I would think I would want to put a piece of plywood in the base and build up the corners to keep the machine from sliding on the plywood.

I mainly want to avoid buying these if I can determine ahead of time that they won't work well.

Brent

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The design looks like other mobile bases I have seen and used. It should work on a clean cement floor. Those small wheels will not roll over dirty, wood chips, etc.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Be sure to call your store before you go if you're trying to buy at a store. It's a non-stock item. NT in Raleigh and Cary don't carry them.

Tom

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Folks,
It looks like an HTC mobil base to me. I worked at a woodworking store for several years and put together my share of HTC bases. When you open the box what you have is a pile of steel & double hand full of nuts & bolts. The base works OK but assembly is a pain. I have several mobil bases. In fact almost everything in my shop is on wheels. The best base I can come up with is the Jet Heavy Duty. It's more expensive, but a lot better base.

Bill G.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Having welding skills, I weld up my own mobile bases, based on Delta's design. I have a 15" planer, jointer, and tablesaw on mobile bases. Unless your bandsaw is an open stand (meaning wider footprint) it can be very top heavy. Drill press is a similar if not worse case. Drill presses are top heavy and need stable footing. Instead of a mobile base, I would consider mounting DP to a hand truck. This would require having room behind the DP for hand truck. Just my thoughts.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
My favorite bases are the ones (Woodcraft) that bolt onto a square of 3/4" plywood.
I did put a DP on a mobile base (HTC type), but first I bolted it to a 2X2 piece of plywood which also serves as a storage shelf. Someday, I hope to mount it to a storage base like Charlie made.

Wolfpacker

New User
Brent
Sounds like it's an "OK" base, but since I would be using it on my DP & BS, which are top heavy, think I'll try to make something on my own...prefer to design/build anyway to get what I want. Looked at hover pads, but not sure I wanna even know the price on those. Loved the $29 price on the NT base, but since I know you get what you pay for, I doubt I'd be happy with it.

If I could get the casters like I have on my 80's vintage craftsman table saw for a reasonable price, I'd go that route, but Sears doesn't seem to sell those anymore. Oh well.

Another idea I like was putting the tool on a flat base that you could use a hand truck to move it around with...still have to account for the top heavy factor on the DP & BS.

Thanks for all the input guys,
Brent

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If you
"but first I bolted it to a 2X2 piece of plywood which also serves as a storage shelf"
it ceases to be tippy.
JMTCW

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Unless your bandsaw is an open stand (meaning wider footprint) it can be very top heavy. Drill press is a similar if not worse case. Drill presses are top heavy and need stable footing.

This is an important point for anyone considering a mobile base for top-heavy, or otherwise 'tipsy', power tools. My Rikon 18" Bandsaw is naturally tipsy towards its front because it, like most full-size bandsaws, is really meant to be bolted to a floor.

However, in my shop I needed the versatility of a mobile base so I cut two pieces of 3/4" plywood to fit the base of my bandsaw *plus* 5-6" on the front side to stabilize the bandsaw (the side it wanted to tip towards). I then laminated the two pieces of 3/4" plywood together to form a 1-1/2" thick plywood base that is very stiff and has very little bounce (and can easily handle the bandsaw's 400+ lbs). I then laid out the necessary bolt holes for the bandsaw's base. The Plywood was then permanently (and securely) bolted to the mobile base and the bandsaw itself was then bolted to the plywood base. With the bandsaw bolted to the plywood and the plywood bolted to the mobile base, those extra 5-6" on the front side of the bandsaw add tremendous stability to an otherwise tipsy bandsaw.

So the lesson here is: If your power tool is top heavy or easily tipped towards one or more sides, oversize the plywood platform for your mobile base on the side(s) that need added stability, then bolt the tool to the plywood and the plywood to the mobile base and you will have a stable and secure mobile base for that tool. The only thing worse than having a valuable tool come crashing to the floor would be that same tool falling on its operator or a bystander (or God forbit, a child).

(Notes: Do not skip bolting the tool to the plywood, the plywood can only add stability if it is securely attached to the tool! Bolting the plywood to the mobile base increases the stability even further. When evaluating stability, don't forget to take into consideration the shift in center of gravity when the mobile base lifts one side and/or wheels swivel during mobile operation.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS