Unisaw mobile base and table improvement w/many *PICS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Awhile ago I posted some before pics and pics of my Unisaw stripped of its tables, fence rail, and mobile base. Here is the before pic showing the old melamine table and stock Delta mobile base with step caster and rails blocking the opening under the saw:

TS-1.jpg
P5060060.JPG

Here are the after pics:

The first thing I did was to make my own mobile base under the saw cabinet- casters mounted in rectangular steel tube and some leveling feet made from elevator bolts and a piece of angle mounted to the saw's sub-base.

TS-5.jpg
P5080008.JPG

Here is the new right extension table support and mobile base frame clamped up. Heavy steel angle was used for the horizontal table support rails to limit flexing. The leg assembly is made from square steel tubing. The rails are bolted to the Unisaw cast iron table with bolts in the existing holes. Notice the step caster at the bottom of the leg assembly (instead of under the middle of the table like in the original Delta base).

TS-8.jpg
P5110013.JPG

Here is the frame bolted together. I decided to have the support leg assembly (a little rusty in this pic) welded- it cost me only $20 - I don't have a welder.

TS-10.jpg
P5140017.JPG

Here is the leg assembly cleaned up and primed. It was messy but not too difficult to remove the scale and rust with a 3M abrasive wheel mounted in a hand drill.

TS-12.jpg
P5150018.JPG

The primed, painted (except the back rail- I ran out of paint), and reassembled extension table frame.

TS-14.jpg
P5160021.JPG

I got a newer style front Unifence rail (on Ebay?) to replace my battered old rail and installed it in this pic. It installs more easily than the older style rail since it has a bolt head slot in the back of the extrusion so you do not need to drill holes to bolt it to the table.

Wixey-1.JPG

TS-15.jpg
P5160022.JPG

A Delta-style step caster (from Rockler) is mounted on the leg assembly lower cross bar.

TS-16.jpg
P5160023.JPG

A quarter view. The elevator bolts which level the legs are visible in this pic.

TS-17.jpg
P5160024.JPG

Web frame for new extension table. Unlike my assembly table which had an MDF web, I used oak for this web. I made the top from 1/2" MDF (no bottom skin) and covered it with laminate.

TS-18.jpg
P5170025.JPG

Here is the web for the 36" X 81" outfeed table. My new assembly table really helped out here. :-D:-D

P5200028.JPG

TS-20.jpg
I covered the extension and outfeed tables with laminate and painted the oak edging and legs black.

TS-21.jpg
P5220034.JPG

Another view.

TS-22.jpg
P5220035.JPG

This view shows that I can now put a rolling cabinet (another project) under the extension table since there are no mobile base rails nor step caster in the way.
TS-23a.jpg

P5220039.JPG

I also added a knee-kick kill switch to stop the saw. The kick bar is covered with pipe foam insulation and wrapped with some yellow tape. A microswitch is mounted behind the left arm and wired in series with the stop button in the saw's low voltage relay control circuit- a light tap is all that is needed to shut off the saw, yet it doesn't trip unless actually pushed- works great!
grin.gif
grin.gif

TS-25.jpg
PB270057.JPG

I also added a drop down extension to the outfeed table behind the blade area. It is hinged to the main outfeed table and supported by a single leg attached with a spring hinge so it will fold easily. Also visible is my under-floor dust collection and the tablesaw and jointer connections.

Table up:
P5260045.JPG

Table down:

P9250001.JPG

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Alan,

When I start rebuilding things in the shop, I sure do want to invite you over for a couple of beers and some brainstorming... you've got some terrific work going on there.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Zounds Alan!
That setup is larger than my shop and stouter too :mrgreen:
I love the DC pipe that disappears under the flap in the floor. Gotta be magic :lol:

Sapwood (penciling in Alan on the "Shops to See" list)

Monty

New User
Monty
Nice looking setup! That looks like the way a mobile base should be set up! With all that room dedicated for your saw, I'm sort of surprised that you went to so much trouble to keep the saw mobile -- I'd just be happy to have that much space! :jealous: How often do you expect to have to move it? Also, how is that outfeed table attached? It will have to be removed to move the saw, right?

Between this project and that snazzy assembly table you posted before, you definitely win the "Engineer" award for the forum!!! :icon_thum Can't wait to see how you spice up the workbench project.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
insomniac said:
Nice looking setup! That looks like the way a mobile base should be set up! With all that room dedicated for your saw, I'm sort of surprised that you went to so much trouble to keep the saw mobile -- I'd just be happy to have that much space! :jealous: How often do you expect to have to move it? Also, how is that outfeed table attached? It will have to be removed to move the saw, right?

Between this project and that snazzy assembly table you posted before, you definitely win the "Engineer" award for the forum!!! :icon_thum Can't wait to see how you spice up the workbench project.

Thanks.

Don't know how often I'll want to move it, but I figured I might as well keep everything mobile- I'm still not sure that my tool layout is optimal. Mobility also allows me to clean underneath it- maybe :lol:. To move the saw with outfeed attached, would require that someone lift on the outfeed side of the table, or remove it- a quick 2 min. job (4 bolts).

I just hope my bench comes out as nice as yours. You inspired me. FYI, until I decide to spring for some hard maple, my bench trestle and top will be made from oak. I still have a couple of hundred board feet left from the red/white oak trees cut down when they cleared my lot two years ago.

M

McRabbet

Excellent job -- I may duplicate certain features on my "widebody" Grizzly 10" cabinet saw -- I have a Shop Fox Mobile Base and an Extension unit (see link) that has a bar stabilizing the outer end of the extension wing -- I want that floor space for a saw utilities cabinet (on casters) and the bar has to go! I just need to attach the extension legs to the castered angle iron and take the bar out (I just need to be cautious when moving the saw to avoid damage to the extension table and its legs). And I like your extended shutoff switch -- great safety feature and easy to implement.

Rob

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Alan, your shop must be huge. Just looking through the pics you have posted, you have a lot of space, a whole lot of space. I initially thought it was on a slab, but I see electrical and dust collection going through the floor.

What gives? You convert the house to a shop? You a pro or planning on going pro?

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
McRabbet said:
Excellent job -- I may duplicate certain features on my "widebody" Grizzly 10" cabinet saw -- I have a Shop Fox Mobile Base and an Extension unit (see link) that has a bar stabilizing the outer end of the extension wing -- I want that floor space for a saw utilities cabinet (on casters) and the bar has to go! I just need to attach the extension legs to the castered angle iron and take the bar out (I just need to be cautious when moving the saw to avoid damage to the extension table and its legs). And I like your extended shutoff switch -- great safety feature and easy to implement.

Rob
I think one (like I have) or two diagonal braces between the legs and extension table rails should stabilize the legs enough so that you can remove the cross bar. It looks like you may have to attach the leg wheel assembly to the legs since it looks like it just sits on it. I want a cabinet to hold blades, inserts, miter gage, tenoning jig, etc.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Travis Porter said:
Alan, your shop must be huge. Just looking through the pics you have posted, you have a lot of space, a whole lot of space. I initially thought it was on a slab, but I see electrical and dust collection going through the floor.

What gives? You convert the house to a shop? You a pro or planning on going pro?
I'd like to say it's just the wide angle lens, but I have a decent sized shop (could always be bigger- like can't have enough clamps) - a tad over 21' X 38' . When we built our house I wanted a good shop for a change (old one was 10' X 12') but didn't want a separate building in the back
yard, so decided enlarge the garage to 3 bays and go up, puting my shop above.

PC170035.JPG

Sorry, forgot to down-size pic.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Alan, if you make some inserts to fill the miter slots and blade insert area you could easily play ping-pong on that table surface! :lol: :lol:

I like the finished look a lot and you did a great job on the pictorial documentary...the photos are great.

I have the "before" model in my shop. Your idea inspired me until I went to the shop with a tape measure and reality set in...still, I look for the day when I can upsize to a bigger shop and I really appreciate you sharing your ideas.

And of course, I look forward to the next project!!

Oh, BTW, great job!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Alan, there is a strong possibility a "trio" of NCWoodworkers may be passing through "Little Washington" on Thursday. :idea:

Hmmmm, wonder if the shop might be available for viewing 8-O

Sapwood

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
sapwood said:
Alan, there is a strong possibility a "trio" of NCWoodworkers may be passing through "Little Washington" on Thursday. :idea:

Hmmmm, wonder if the shop might be available for viewing 8-O

Sapwood

You all are certainly welcome to stop by for a tour of the "work in progress" I call my shop.

While you are here, maybe I can talk some of you into buying some of my excess stuff- Unisaw mobile base and Delta extension table legs and brackets, Shopsmith 4" jointer, DC cyclone (home-made upgraded Wood mag version- really cheap, maybe free), 12 1/2" Delta lunch box planer (22-540?) :-D:-D:-D.

Just let me know if and when you'll be here so I can be sure I'm here (and not on a Lowes run or working out at the pool). If it looks like you are coming I'll send you directions.

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The previous pics I posted on my Unisaw mobile base and table redo showed the new mobile base, right extension table, and outfeed table (see first pic below). I wanted to be sure long stuff would be adequately supported during ripping so added a 36" wide X 30" deep drop-down outfeed table on the back of the regular outfeed table. It attaches with a piano hinge. I have one more table mod but you'll have to wait a few days on that one.

Here is the new set-up with the drop down extension table in the "up" position. The additional table gives me another 30" of outfeed. A single leg is sufficient to support it.

TS-21.jpg
P5260045.JPG

Here is the drop down table in the down position. It is constructed the same as the other tables with an 1/2" oak web and 3/4" oak aprons, 1/2" MDF top, covered with the same laminate.

P9250001.JPG

TS-26.jpg

TS-27.jpg

TS-28.jpg

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Alan, it looks very good, actually excellent, but I am interested in your attachment method and leveling method to the saw top. What did you do and how did you do it? I know you are not going to have pics for this, but I am curious as to how you went about it, what you liked, what you didn't, and what you would do different.

Case in point, I have a PM 66 and on the backside I have a piece of angle iron that I want to do something similar to, but want to make sure my height is correct and not over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS