Uniped fence and mobile base upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Alas and at last I've completed upgrading my Grizzly tablesaw with a Unifence and mobile base. Couldn't resist a few pix and comments ;-)

From the front:
unifence_front_rail.jpg

Decided to rename it the Uniped ;-) Retained the Griz backrail to attach the extension table. This made the wing more stable and allowed me to eliminate one of the legs. Attaching the extension table with the provided clips and legs doesn't provide much stability. I drilled and tapped my CI wing and bolted the clips. I also drilled, tapped, and bolted rear rail to laminate table. Apparently the front rail isn't designed to support the extension table. T-bolt slots are employed to provide "play" and alignment. Therefore the front leg was essential for support.

Rear rail attachment:
unifence_backrail.jpg

Although installation was a PITA. The results are redeeming :mrgreen:
Fence itself is within .002 to mitre slot. There is no front to back deflection, though the aluminum fence itself isn't perfectly uniform . . . well within reasonable expectations. Adjusting/aligning the fence is a breeze and when locked down it's rock solid :eusa_danc

Below is a 4.75" x 10" piece of walnut resawn on the TS:
walnut_resaw.jpg

You may note a barely perceptible line in the center of the board. However, the line is not detectable to the fingertips :icon_thum

FWIW the difference between new and old is amazing. It's great to use a tool with confidence :eusa_clap

The mobile base is solid and provides a great place to store my Delta mortiser. And yes! It will move . . . but only when absolutely necessary :lol: Apparently the base needs to be aligned to floor joists to prevent 1/8" to 1/4" sags in floor :rolf:

Cheerfully rendered,
Roger

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
That is a mighty fine setup you have there Roger. :icon_thum My wish list grows longer everytime I visit this site.

dozer

Mike
I was beginning to wonder if you had given up on the saw or not Roger :lol: Nice job looks like you have everything all set up and working.

M

McRabbet

Great job, Roger! Good to see a man willing to spend the time to keep a nice old Grizzly a'growling! Well engineered and executed!

Rob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Really nice setup, Roger!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :eusa_clap

That saw is awful clean though? I bet you are happy with the new wheels too. From the look of that piece of resawn walnut, the saw is runnin' like a finely tuned Ferrari!!!:lol:

Very well thought out with excellent results.

Congrats,

Wayne

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Nice set up Roger. :icon_thum I likey. I bet you wondered why you waited so long to up grade after getting results like that resaw; huh. Now lets see some shop output. :lol: :lol:

Mike

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice upgrade Roger. I thought you were going to put your router in the extension?

Regretfully the design of the "supplied" extension table doesn't lend itself to that application. However, I'm contemplating several future modifications ;-) Picked up a piece of laminate at Habitat ReUse Center.

Overall I consider the extension table and the way it attaches to wing a bust! The L-brackets supplied are bolted to wing. You can bend them with one hand. :eusa_shhh Another set of brackets are screwed into top and adjust height via slot with bolt and nut :BangHead: Difficult to adjust and the screws pull the table down :eusa_doh:Next time I won't read the instructions :lol: I will make my own extension table and bolt a piece of angle iron to CI wing for attaching.

I'm learning :mrgreen:

Roger

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Looks good Roger. I have a piece of Steel angle 1/8 thick I think its 74 inches long. Anyway if you wanted to use it for your saw back rail it would maybe work good for you? Im going to Greensboro show if you are I will bring it.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Simply outstanding work, Roger. Man, that looks great. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Out of curiousity, do you lie on the floor when mortising? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for the kudos folks!
mshel, you're right . . . it's time to move forward with projects :)

And thanks for the angle iron offer Jon, but I have an extra on hand. Look forward to meeting you and others on Friday.

Roger

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jon,
Since Roger passed on the angle is it available? If so I need to do the exact same thing on my TS extension and will be needing it. See you in Greensboro.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Mark Here is what I have I can bring it all. It is basiclly the T2 fencerails and tube (not shown) and the other is 78 inch long piece of angle. The T2 is 53 inches long. I will bring it and you can look at it

angle_1.jpg

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jon,
You should try to sell that! I'm sure someone could put the whole collection to use. Where were you in November when I did this?: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5510
I just need a small section of angle to connect an extension table to the end of the CI top inside the rails. If you want to break up this collection I'll take the long narrow angle.
Thanks!

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice job Roger. It is great when a plan comes together. Now you need some sawdust on that floor.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS