Undermount drawer slides

joec

joe
User
I screwed up building a drawer to go underneath our kitchen sink. I forgot to allow for the 1/2" on each side for the slides. Now I am wondering why I could not just put the slides under the drawer? I do not have much vertical room, as I built the drawer to go underneath part of the hinges, but can accommodate the 1/2" rise the slides would create. That would not be working the ball bearings correctly, but it seems to be sturdy enough to handle the small weight that is will be carrying. Thoughts?

joec

joe
User
One other note. I made the 1/2 plywood bottom, flush with the drawer side bottom, so I will not have a offset to deal with.

Last edited:

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I would definitely not use those inexpensive center slides (Delta Industries) that have a plastic piece that attaches to the drawer. Can't remember how many times I've had to replace that.

joec

joe
User
I ended up making a three sided slide out of wood. This drawer slides along it and it keeps it along its proper track. As I ended up only having 3/8" to play with vertically, due to the hinges, this worked out well. I waxed it heavily and it slides along good enough for my wife. Lesson learned about measuring properly.

Kelly

Kelly
User
Is there room to cut a dado in the side of the drawers to accept the side piece?
I have made this same mistake but fortunately I had enough thickness in my drawer stock to do this.

joec

joe
User
I made the sides 5/8". I thought about that, but decided against it. The wood slide is working well. It is all good.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS