Uh-oh

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
While processing all of this green wood I've just received, I was turning a 14" crotch piece for turning the inside of the bowl/platter. The Nova Titan siezed on the lathe spindle. I managed to get the chuck off, but now the spindle threads need chasing, 1-1/4X8. I don't have a die that size so off to McMaster Carr I go. They have a die and they have a repair die. Which do I buy?

Also, I do have a 1-1/4 X 8 tap and tried to chase the threads in the chuck. Tried about 10 times. The tap bottom at least 2 times. The other attempt resulted in the the tap going to a hard stop before seating in the bottom. Suggestions?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Don't know about chasing the threads but it may help to get a flat washer to use between the chuck and spindle face in the future.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Don't know about chasing the threads but it may help to get a flat washer to use between the chuck and spindle face in the future.

So that....??

FWIW, today was the first day without a plastic washer. The chuck seized while threading on. It never seated. Makes you think it was cross threaded, but damage looks like it seized.

I 'chased' the spindle with a 1-1/4X8 nut that I had on hand. I can thread other chucks on now. A little rough but it works. The Titan will not thread on, however.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
So that....??

FWIW, today was the first day without a plastic washer. The chuck seized while threading on. It never seated. Makes you think it was cross threaded, but damage looks like it seized.

I 'chased' the spindle with a 1-1/4X8 nut that I had on hand. I can thread other chucks on now. A little rough but it works. The Titan will not thread on, however.
Ah may be a problem with the chuck? I usually use a washer to make it easier to loosen the chuck when I have to remove it. I guess I misunderstood what happened. I was thinking it tighten up and you couldn't get it loose.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'm guessing, and it's just a guess, that the threads on the chuck are badly damaged. If you cannot see the damage by using a bright light you might be able to feel the damage using a thread pitch gauge. Or there could be a piece of debris caught in the threads somewhere. The thread pitch gauge should help spot that.

If all else fails you could take it to a machine shop and they could probably accurately spot the problem and maybe even repair it. It may be possible to repair it using a helicoil, but I've not heard of doing that with a chuck.

Since that chuck doesn't use inserts and is a dedicated thread size you could be looking at buying a new chuck if it cannot be fixed.

Hope it turns out to be an easy repair. It might be worth contacting Teknatool about this.

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I ordered 1-1/4X8 tap and die from McMaster Carr. I chased the spindle threads and all my chucks now go on easily.

I had a machinist look at the Titan and the verdict was to bore it out, weld in an insert and drill and tap the insert. Not sure I want to risk warping the chuck body but really have nothing to lose. Last evening I chased the Titan threads and it now threads readily onto the spindle. It snugs up nicely to the spindle shoulder. However, as it threads on, it feels like about half of the chuck body threads are making adequate contact with the spindle, i.e., it feels like it threads on sloppily until about half the threads are engaged and after that the slop goes away and the chuck then feels secure.

Maybe its time to ask Teknatools about a replacement body.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
If it tightens up does it really matter? I mean, I know you want it right - as all of us would - but if it's broke and still works, don't fix it ;)

Dee2

Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not really.
It seems to hold fine.
OBTW, Teknatool doesn't sell Titan replacement bodies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS