Two Problems With Performax 16-32 Plus Drum Sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I purchased an entire shop and was so pleased to acquire 3 pieces of machinery in particular: a 5 HP Powermatic table saw, a Laguna 16" band saw, and a Performax 16-32 drum sander. I used the Performax for the 1st time and had a serious problem with it that is not covered in the troubleshooting info in the owner's manual.

When I run the conveyor feed belt it creeps down from left to right (towards the drive motor) when you are feeding your lumber. I didn't realize it until the feed belt began to get chewed up, so now I get to buy a new belt as part of my fix, so I need parts. This issue is not covered in the troubleshooting guide. I aligned the passive roller with a micrometer on both adjustment screws, but that didn't fix it. If you own a Performax 16-32 and know how to fix this, please reply.

My 2nd problem is finding someone on line with customer service reps who can help me. Performax Products was bought out by Jet about 14 years ago. There is no direct link on the internet to Performax customer service. If you know where I need to go, please send the link or a phone #. Thanks.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Instead of using a micrometer to decide how to set the adjustment screws, try running the belt at a slow speed and watch how the belt tracks as you adjust.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Call Jet. Also, i have a 22 44 face your machine, at the left end of your belt should be 2 captivated little wrenches, they are for the belt adjustment, the nuts are where the wrenches are, run the belt and adjust the tracking until it runs straight.

Last edited:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Adjust while sanding. When mine was new I had to continually tweak tracking. It took a long time to settle in. The feed belts are not joined with perfect accuracy and theybstretch with use. Attempting to adjust with measurements won’t work.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Sounds a lot like tracking/wandering on a hand held belt sander. It looks good until you begin sanding and then it has to be adjusted while sanding.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
What do you like about this replacement belt over the standard one? I've had no issues with mine tracking, but occasionally mine doesn't seem to grip the wood as I'd like, blowing off the dust usually fixes that problem. For my problem (slight as it is) I can't see the price that it costs...

It seems to hold and more consistant feed speed vs the old sand paper belts. It tracks better too. I set i once and never had to adjust it like the sand paper belt.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm new to drum sanders. If the Accura belt isn't a "sand paper" belt how does it sand like sand paper?

http://theaccessoriespartssellers.blogspot.com/2011/05/replacement-conveyor-belt-for-16.html

The purpose of the 'sandpaper' feed belt is to move the stock, not sand. The paper on the rotating drum does the sanding. The abrasive platen belt is supposed to dig into the stock just enough to move it along but not change the face that it touches. I'd never seen another kind of drive belt before, and wondered if it held stock better or tracked better, or???? I've had no issues with tracking, but holding stock has been a slight issue. I would like to see one of these belts and put it in my hands, I've found that other materials like those on the gripper tool are fine as long as they are very clean, but once some dust gets on them, they don't hold so well either.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think that I understand. The Accura belt goes on the drums and the sanding belt is added on top of that?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I think that I understand. The Accura belt goes on the drums and the sanding belt is added on top of that?

The Accura belt is an item that is below the sanding drum. It is a very wide "belt" that runs with the power feed motor (variable speed). The sanding drum takes a 3" wide by very long strip that is wrapped around the drum, and is easily changed for grit changes as desired by the finish you want. The sanding drum isn't variable speed (at least on mine) but the lower feed table belt is.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Think of it more like a conveyor belt that the wood rides on as it pass under the sanding rollers.

BKHam

Bradley
User
i posted about this last year under the title of problems with drum sander.

i got the advice to crown the middle of the passive roller. this is how many belts in a variety of applications maintain their tracking. i had crowned the motor side of the roller in an attempt to push it back. that didnt work. the crowning of the middle did. however i think i had stretched it so it still walked to the motor side, just much slower. it bunched by feed belt but seems to have found some equilibrium.

try crowning the middle of the passive roller with some tape.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'm unfamiliar with Drum Sanders. What is the passive roller and where is it located? TIA.

i posted about this last year under the title of problems with drum sander.

i got the advice to crown the middle of the passive roller. this is how many belts in a variety of applications maintain their tracking. i had crowned the motor side of the roller in an attempt to push it back. that didnt work. the crowning of the middle did. however i think i had stretched it so it still walked to the motor side, just much slower. it bunched by feed belt but seems to have found some equilibrium.

try crowning the middle of the passive roller with some tape.

BKHam

Bradley
User
I'm unfamiliar with Drum Sanders. What is the passive roller and where is it located? TIA.

there is a drive roller and a passive roller at each end of the feed bed. the drive roller on the 16 / 32 is on the front of the machine, the passive on the back. the drive is attached to the motor. the passive just turns freely.

welldigger

New User
Scott
Run Conveyor belt at max speed. Watch belt for "creep". Whichever side the conveyor belt creeps toward needs to be slightly tightened and the other side equally loosened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS