Two-part Epoxy Strengthener for Softwood Lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
On this morning's episode of This Old House they were showing how they constructed a pine top dining table. As part of the finishing they applied a two-part epoxy to strengthen the pine top. It was further explained that they would then poly over that surface. The epoxy mix really brought out the deep coloring in the pine and made it look very nice.

Has anyone ever tried using this method with pine? I'm wondering how effective this would actually be.

Thanks,

Zach

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Was it a pour-on finish or a brushed on finish?

In general, epoxy scratches fairly easily and can not be effectively repaired.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Howard,

It was a brushed on finish, like tryingtokeepmyfingers said, that looked to be the consistency of stain.

I want one of the wire brush sander tools now too!

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Check out Smith & Company's epoxy primer CPES: Smith & Co. - Restoration Products
Not sure if they used it on the show but it will accomplish the same thing.

I used CPES on a cypress chest lid. I think I put 3 coats on, basically flooding it on until it would not soak up any more. I'd say it worked great as a primer, allowing me to sand for the final finish a bit better. With the hard and soft grain of the cypress, sanding tends to eat out the soft wood leaving a wavy surface. The CPES seemed to harden the surface so it was uniform.

Because the chest is an outside piece, it still needs to be coated with something like spar varnish to prevent damage to the epoxy.

-G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors