Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made this yesterday. I've always known what I wanted to make with this odd-shaped burl cap. Finally put the time in.

IMG_8978_1024x683_.jpg

View image in gallery

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=59171&cat=all&limit=last1

Thanks Tracy. The neatest thing is that I finished it yesterday afternoon and it was sold last night. I made a companion piece, another winged bowl, today. I'm pretty sure they are both going to the same customer. I'm waiting for his e-mail. Twins sold for $279.00. The companion piece is $199.00.

Last edited:
Rob,

The jig is just a 20" round piece of 3/4" birch plywood. I mount the piece on a faceplate first over one "bowl" and turn the bottom of that bowl. I remount the faceplate centered over the other"bowl" and turn the bottom. In each case I put a tongue on the bottom so I can mount it in my chuck. I can only turn at low rpms (around 350-400) because the weight is unbalanced. When both "bowls" are finished inside I mount the piece on the plywood, face down, centering as best I can and holding it with screw down clamps made of 1/2" hardwood about an inch wide. I hold the plywood circle on my vacuum chuck and carefully center the bottom of the "bowl" by sliding the plywood circle. I finish the foot on that "bowl" and re-center to do the second "bowl". Done.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
very nice indeed! Love the twins concept.
interesting way of dealing with the wood.
Your pricing surprised me, I know what I've seen pieces like that priced at.

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done Steve :icon_thum I am glad your are able to sell both pieces. Low rpm or not, that double burl whirling around unbalanced is downright scary for a novice like me. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS