TV Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Seems like TV furniture week, so here's my contribution!

Last Summer I got a new TV and it wouldn't fit in my ol' particle board entertainment center from K-mart. I decided to make my own. Lucky for me, a guy at work had 1.5 sheets of Cherry veneer plywood he got from his neighbor and he said I could have them. He also threw in some other Cherry boards he had. I ended up having to buy about 10 bf of Cherry and a piece of 1/4" ply for the back to supplement the wood I already had. I drew up some sketches then made a story board on a sheet of scrap. I used mostly rabbit and dado joinery with biscuits to hold the face frame on. The top is held on with screws. It's 61Wx24Dx22H.

For the door panels, I decided to try veneer so I picked up some at the Klingspor show in Hickory. Used the powder resin glue they sell and a press made from 3/4" plywood and regular clamps. It worked out great except for some pieces of the burl falling out so I had to fill some places with epoxy mixed with sawdust.

I now think the piece of free Cherry I used to edge band the top is sapwood since, although the grain looks great, a sample in the sun didn't change color at all :eusa_doh:. Because of this and what looked to be big blotch potential, I decided to use gel stain. The Varathane brand stain I used looks pretty close to the Cherry coffee table I have. I then brushed on a couple of coats of Arm r seal for a topcoat.

I cut some pieces to make another frame for the middle and I can put speaker cloth inside it. It would snap in to hide the speaker and computer. I'll finish that later...:laughing7

4_2008_029small.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW Greg!!! That looks fantastic, AND almost free wood!!!!!!!!!!!! Who could ever ask for more?!!

I really like the design and that cherry really looks GREAT! :eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Love panels in the door's!

Wayne

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
That looks sweet
The veneer you used, what species is that, it's beautiful
Gary

sapwood

New User
Roger
Man, I like that design :thumbsup:
Well done and the veneer is icing on the cake :eek:ccasion1

Roger

titan04

New User
Josh
That is a really nice design and a great use of almost free wood.

That veneer is really nice and so uniform between the 2 sides. Great work on symmetry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS