Turning Interest, but which Lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks so much for all of your input! I obviously have some decisions to make. As far as the lathe is concerned, it would appear that I wouldn't go too far wrong with any of the 3 (Jet, Delta or Rikon). I will just have to wait for a good sale!

In addition, I need to do some research into pen turning and other small projects before I jump!

Again. You all have been a wealth of information.

Wayne

Monty

New User
Monty
Hmmm... let's see:

Code:
Midi Lathe:        $169
Chuck:             $200
HF Turning tools:   $39
Bowl gouge:         $69
Grinder:           $100
Grinding jigs:     $150
etc....             ???
                   ____
TOTAL:             $727+

I'm gonna stop now... it's kind of depressing... :-?

Big Mike

New User
Mike
insomniac said:
Hmmm... let's see:

Code:
Midi Lathe:        $169
Chuck:             $200
HF Turning tools:   $39
Bowl gouge:         $69
Grinder:           $100
Grinding jigs:     $150
etc....             ???
                   ____
TOTAL:             $727+

I'm gonna stop now... it's kind of depressing... :-?

The one thing I am not gonna do is start totalling my turning investment.
I have more than 40 turning tools, 4 chucks with multiple sets of jaws, several different kinds of spur centers, several different live center sets, special lights, multiple tool rests, side drills for sanding, sanding pads and paper, several sizes of faceplates, and who knows what else. Now I am depressed but my wife is stoic (or maybe realistic) about it. She says money spent on tools is at least partially recoverable and occasionally a nice birthday or Christmas gift does emerge from the shop. Golf on the other hand is money spent into a little white hole from which there is no recovery....

But I can honestly say I would have spent more if I had been turning longer....8-O :p :eusa_danc And so will you....:rolf:

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
One of the things I have come to learn in turning, to me, is the most important aspect of your work. Rpm's and solid mounting.

That being said, sometimes, like Mike mentioned, the lathe you have in mind will not be enough.

The Nova DVR3000 over a unique solid state motor capable of delivering a steady 5 rpm for very heavy stock, and up to 3,000 rpm (i think) for small works. You have infinite rpm control, that remains constant with your load. The motor is made of 2 pieces. It is not a wire wound induction motor.

I dont own one, but I do use their chucks. The precision of their lathes is outstanding by what I have read. One of these will do as nice a job on your pens as it does on a 6" ballister.

You could grow with this lathe, and never encounter a need to trade it in on a larger model. It is expensive, thats why I dont have one yet, but you may want to bookmark their site for later on when you are ready to expand to larger projects.

And you will.

A quick link to their product info:

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/3000/nova.htm

Heres a pic of it.

Nova_3000_Lathe_Full.jpg

cad

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am with you Mike, I don't turn but sometimes am scared to think about my total investment in this addiction, but I have also started getting concerned about insurance and knowing what I have and what I paid for it and what it is worth. Someone breaking in and cleaning me out, fire, or what I am constantly paranoid of is a tree falling on my building and getting a lot of water damage. The big stuff is pretty easy, but I don't believe I could ever guess what all I have in miscellaneous small stuff. Squares, bits, clamps, specialty hardware, all that stuff to me adds up to equal all the big stuff. I haven't figured it up, but I would be at least for me it would be close.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Travis Porter said:
I am with you Mike, I don't turn but sometimes am scared to think about my total investment in this addiction, but I have also started getting concerned about insurance and knowing what I have and what I paid for it and what it is worth. Someone breaking in and cleaning me out, fire, or what I am constantly paranoid of is a tree falling on my building and getting a lot of water damage. The big stuff is pretty easy, but I don't believe I could ever guess what all I have in miscellaneous small stuff. Squares, bits, clamps, specialty hardware, all that stuff to me adds up to equal all the big stuff. I haven't figured it up, but I would be at least for me it would be close.

With the advent of digital cameras I just periodically take photos of my shop and the new purchases and burn them to a CD/DVD. Best way I know to keep an inventory. I have replacement coverage for my tools but the wood is another story.... Me and the insurance company might have to fight.8-O :lol:

cskipper

Cathy
I agree with the replacement insurance. I also keep a record of serial numbers and the purchase date if I remember (obviously keep this current now). I haven't taken pictures - good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS