Turned Mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I had never turned anything until learning how at the recent Stokes Stomp outreach, then helping a few kids make light sabers, this is the only thing I've ever turned. My buddy at work lives close to our work and he has a lathe. I had these rough chunks of walnut and something else (I think cherry). I'll be using the walnut for other mallet handles that I'll us the rest of this wood for (practicing mortising in the handles into the mallet heads).

I found a few mallet designs I liked online, roughed out the timber using the bandsaw and gave them to my buddy to rough out on his lathe. Today during lunch I turned the handle, finished shaping the head, and sanded. It fits my hand perfectly and has good weight. I can't wait to try it out with chisels !

I was thinking of putting a few coats of Danish oil on it but then again would that be a bad idea since I'll be beating with it ? Maybe just mineral oil instead ?

The mallet was turned from the timber in the middle in the pic below
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• blanks.jpg
    blanks.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 249
  • file.jpeg
    file.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 249
  • file1.jpeg
    file1.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 251

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Mike, thanks. I guess Danish oil will be what I use then ! By the way I love that curly maple but I have to say your hand is looking quite feminine in that pic.....not judging just saying....ha ha ha

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Nicely done jfynyson, I think there is nothing more satisfying then making your own tools or jigs.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Added several coats of danish oil then a coat of paste wax....now just need to beat it on a few chisels !
attachment.php

Attachments

• Finished Turned Mallet.jpg
    Finished Turned Mallet.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS