Turned mallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
This is not a new project - I know several people have made this (including Woodguy). This is from an article in Wood magazine (issue 156). Since my workbench project is sort of at a standstill right now, I figured I would knock out another shop project I've been wanting to do...

IMG_1800.jpg

click the thumbnails for more pics...

It is made of Bolivian Rosewood, with a maple handle. I left the head about 1/16" fatter than the article specified. It's nice and heavy... currently the heaviest mallet in my shop. I think it should work well.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, ok, I'll get a lathe.

That is really nice. It appears you have some kind of finish on it What may I ask?

Monty

New User
Monty
I just wiped it down with BLO. I don't think it will need any more than that.

And yes, get a lathe. :mrgreen:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Insom,
What kind of glue did you use, yellow or some kind of resin glue?

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
Plain ol' yellow wood glue. I thought about alternatives like plastic resin glue, but yellow glue is just fine, and that's also what they used in the article.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Hey Insom.. what would you rate the skill level of this ? It looks great.

Monty

New User
Monty
This is a simple project, should be fine for beginners, and just the right size for midi lathe owners. If you know basic spindle turning, this should be a breeze. There are no fancy beads, coves or other embellishments. Just need a roughing gouge, detail gouge, parting tool, and (if you're worthy) a skew. The little notch on the end of the handle is made with the parting tool. Actually the most critical steps in this project involve making sure your stock is jointed flat and square, and providing good clamp pressure during the glue-up to avoid nasty gaps.

To be honest, I've never done much spindle turning... never had much interest in it, or a good project to use it on. This is probably the first "real" spindle turning project I've completed.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Man Insom........that turned out real purdy like. Is that one mine or are you making mine next?:lol: Great job.:eusa_clap

BTW.....where did you pick-up the rosewood at?

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Klingspor had a few boards of it. I bought one with the intention of making some tools out of it. I thought I was going to have to make a tote for my No 3, but I ended up fixing the original one instead.

I think Wood magazine has some pretty cool hand tool projects -- check out this page. It's interesting that this turned mallet is one of the "collector's series" projects, but is not included on that page. Anyway, I've always liked the design of that marking knife - the rare earth magnet to keep the cap over the blade. I think I might make something like that... one day... :roll:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
I think Wood magazine has some pretty cool hand tool projects -- check out this page. It's interesting that this turned mallet is one of the "collector's series" projects, but is not included on that page. Anyway, I've always liked the design of that marking knife - the rare earth magnet to keep the cap over the blade. I think I might make something like that... one day... :roll:

Yes, they do have some nice plans for hand tools. I have a few of those plans already but haven't gotten around to making any of them yet. Have you ever found a good source for the brass stock?

D L

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Folks were making those mallets like crazy when that article came out, me included. Mine was poodle ugly to start with, actually looks better now that it's beat up!
But, that is the nicest one I have seen. Well done.
ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors