Turned canister

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
This morning I posted rifle cartridge/deer antler pens finished up yesterday, this evening the project finished up today after several previous days of work.

A kitchen canister from a burl of Japanese Weeping Cherry, a tree from the farm my wife grew up on as a child.

The interior is finished with epoxy glaze coating, making it virtually water proof.

Jim

Attachments

• P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 168
  • P1010015.JPG
    P1010015.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 155

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Beautiful! So what is going to be stored in this magnificent canister?

Badabing

New User
Joe
Incredible work! I really like it. It kinda reminds me of the honey pot that Winnie the Pooh eats from... think think think think think
:rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
Nice pot Jim! Is it straight sided inside? did you drill it out or turn it? if you turned it, what technique did you use? I am struggling with steep sided vessels; maybe a ring tool is the way to go???

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful job on the canister, Jim!:icon_thum
Ya gotta love that burl AND the sentiment LOYL must feel.

JRD

New User
Jim
To answer the questions.

David, The outer canister shape reflects the interior shape as well. I can't honestly tell you the wall thickness is uniform, but it's very close to being so if not dead on. As for the interior cut, I drilled an interior hole then used the Oneway Termite tool to expand the cut away from the hole. The Termite tool is fantastic, especially for end grain. Learn to use one and you'll wonder how you ever did without one.

Nick, I've been using a product from Famowood, called Glaze Coat. It's an epoxy finish that is used for a lot of table tops and bars. You mix the two parts and pour it onto the project. It takes a full 72 hours to completely cure, but leaves a thick, waterproof finish behind. I want to try it this spring in a turned flower vase just to see how well it holds up. According to the manufacturer, one pour leaves a coating as thick as 60 coats of varnish.

Jim

Last edited:

DavidF

New User
David
To answer the questions.

David, The outer canister shape reflects the interior shape as well. I can't honestly tell you the wall thickness is uniform, but it's very close to being so if not dead on. As for the interior cut, I drilled an interior hole then used the Oneway Termite tool to expand the cut away from the hole. The Termite tool is fantastic, especially for end grain. Learn to use one and you'll wonder how you ever did without one.

Nick, I've been using a product from Famowood, called Glaze Coat. It's an epoxy finish that is used for a lot of table tops and bars. You mix the two parts and pour it onto the project. It takes a full 72 hours to completely cure, but leaves a thick, waterproof finish behind. I want to try it this spring in a turned flower vase just to see how well it holds up. According to the manufacturer, one pour leaves a coating as thick as 60 coats of varnish.

Jim

Hmmm, both ideas sound very useful, thanks for sharing that. I might need to investigate the "Termite" anybody else out there use one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors