Tung oil container

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
My understanding is that as tung oil is used the container should be collapsed to drive out the oxygen in air to maintain the quality of the oil. I cannot find corrugated/collapsible plastic bottles at woodworking stores so I have question if such is even necessary. I have checked at WoodCraft, Klingspor and even googled it, all to no avail. Do NCWW members use such bottles? If so, where did you get them?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I do not use a collapsible container but I do evacuate the air by replacing it with a heavier than air gas. I use propane, just a shot from my torch is all it takes

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bob, have you tried Bloxygen Preserver. Spray, Seal, and Store, Inert Gas Preservation System?

Jclrk

Jclrk
Corporate Member
Bass pro shop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-125035_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-125035_Chrome.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 132

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Any heavy gas will work. Argon is what we use for purging stainless pipe while tig'ing, so it is what I have used before. But Jack, I like that collapsible jug. That would also work also a decent price.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
You said that you've looked for bottles, but what about a bag? I remembered seeing these a few years ago, but I've never used one.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
You said that you've looked for bottles, but what about a bag? I remembered seeing these a few years ago, but I've never used one.

I saw a bag at woodcraft but didn’t think it would be so difficult to get a bottle so I passed it up. I prefer a bottle for ease of storage.
l have acetylene but prefer not to use flammable gases. Still working on it. Thanks for for the replies.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Dang! I had forgotten about that.. and I have actually seen that done in the past. Now I've got to find my marbles. :)
Thanks. Now I can open my new bottle of tung oil.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I actually had a little problem finding marbles to use in my slingshot to chase away Canada geese. I ended up finding them at the dollar store but they don't have them consistently. Kids don't play marbles anymore.
Thank goodness I wasn't looking for a hula hoop.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
2nd thought on marbles: problems return when the oil volume gets below the interstitial volume of the marbles in the bottle.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS