TS sits there collecting dust...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Many of you remember that last year I cut the tip of my left middle finger off while doing a foolish thing on my table saw.

I have avoided using the TS since. I have a great band saw, a mitre saw and a router table. I'm also getting pretty good at using my Dads old Disston. The only thing I would really need the TS for is for panel cutting, and even then I could use my circular saw.

What am I really giving up if I sell the TS?

:saw:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
A place to sit stuff?:gar-La;
Seriously...consistent rips and rips in thick stock are the only things I would miss without my tablesaw. Everything else I can do on my Bandsaw, guided Circularsaw or Router.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Dado, rabbet, rip, crosscut, coves, moulding, tenons, compound angle cuts...

All can be done some other way but nothing else will do all accurately, quickly and easily.

There is good reason the table saw is called the work horse of the wood shop.

But, it all depends on the work you want to do.

If all I did was turnings I would want only a big bandsaw and my lathe.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If you are respectful of it. get back in the saddle and start using it. All safe cuts.

However, if you are afraid of it (and I am not criticizing, you have to be the honest judge of this and you have good reason if you are), sell it for the best price you can, or give it away if thats what you want. You can accomplish everything it did with other tools and methods, both power and hand, and maybe any revenue can go towards a saw-stop if you want to ever use one again.

You do outstanding work and you love to do it, (it shows), so don't let a chunk of metal in the shop take that away from you. If it bothers you being there, get it gone and get on with what you do so well. No regrets or second thoughts. If you replace it later, so be it.

Ain't no macho thing or respect thing. Its about doing what you want comfortably and enjoyably. No tool is indispensable. Peace of mind is much more important.

JMTCW

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ultimately, before that question can be answered to your satisfaction, you need to ask yourself this question:
"What kind of WWing am I going to be doing?"
Many WWers here never owned and never will own a TS. They don't need it because their particular genre doesn't warrant it or they have other limitations (spatial, financial, etc.). If your pursuit of wood craft doesn't necessitate its need, sell it by all means. As has already been said here by others and in other threads, its absence can be worked around in many cases. It may just take longer to achieve the same result.

BTW, would that be the Ryobi BT3100? :eusa_thin

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Pretty much what Mike eluted to in his second sentence. Efficiency and precision!
I'd recommend trying to get back on the horse. You can get cut just as bad on your other tools. Sam Maloof had several finger tips missing as a result of a bandsaw.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As several others have pointed, every operation you might do on a table saw can be (and was for century's) done by hand. The only things you loose are speed, and possibly accuracy.

As for whether you ever use a TS again, I know first hand what you're facing. Years ago I had an accident on my TS. I didn't loose a digit, but I turned the tips of the four fingers on my right hand to hamburger. After having them in various stages of bandages for almost five weeks, I was hesitant to use the TS again. The first time I turned it on I was a little shaky. I probably went overboard designing several jigs to make sure I could never have that type of accident again. Of course that was foolish: accidents can still happen. But I've become a lot safer since that accident.

This wasn't the kind of feedback you were looking for, but I thought I would share my experience with you.

Bill

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Guys, you are right. Ripping and tenons are some of what I would miss. Once I fell off a horse and got back on again without missing a beat...I will tune up the TS and put her to work again. I will have to start saving for that SawStop! Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I have such limited space, but I can make things work out. This winter will be bad if I don't get myself a heater in the garage! LOL

Again, thanks so much! I'm keeping it!

:gar-Bi

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I think your decision to get back on this horse will pay you dividends forever, and not just in woodworking. The confidence you gain will show up in many ways; remember...you don't have to be sick to get better:icon_thum. just my 2 cents worth
As Bas says, "I don't need it; I just want it"
Russ

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
Great responses here. Another option, if it is in your price range, is to consider a Sawstop saw. I know they are a lot more money, but there is some piece of mind that comes with the purchase.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Guys, you are right. Ripping and tenons are some of what I would miss. Once I fell off a horse and got back on again without missing a beat...I will tune up the TS and put her to work again. I will have to start saving for that SawStop! Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I have such limited space, but I can make things work out. This winter will be bad if I don't get myself a heater in the garage! LOL

Again, thanks so much! I'm keeping it!

:gar-Bi

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_danc

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I do know first hand how you feel about the saw. I did a very dumb thing this past January and took the side off of my thumb and cut into the knuckle joint of my index finger. My thumb is still very tender and the first two joints of my index finger are locked up with scar tissue. Ten months of physical therapy on that hand still won't break up the scar tissue and I am going back to the surgeon Dec. 2nd to see if he can free up at least the middle joint. I am right handed and that is the hand that I got. I still use my saw almost daily but with that finger sticking straight out is going to get me in trouble if I can't get it bent back out of the way. BTW the first time I started the saw after the incident was a bit scary. I made a bunch of new push blocks to keep me fingers further away also. Steve

skeeter

New User
Charles
There have been many reasons listed for going back to the TS. I will not relist these, but I'll just say that I know exactly how you feel. You may remember that last year I almost cut my thumb off (thirteen stitches on just the end, from base of fingernail to tip). When I got back into the shop, I went through the same thoughts and feelings that you are talking about. When I finally made myself use the TS for the first time, I had to cut it off and walk away twice before finally cutting something. I'm using it now, but there will always be a funny feeling when I start it up. Maybe this is a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS