TS Power feeder ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipper

New User
Steve
I have a small Delta PF, the one with the ball and socket mount. I'd like to use it on my table saw but my contractor saw doesn't have much table behind the blade. Is it different on a unisaw or shoud I be pushing with the feeder vs. pulling.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You will probably have to add a cast iron wing on the right side of the saw. Then mount power feeder in the wing.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
From looking at my PF manuals the center wheel should be in line with the tablesaw and the front wheel should be 1/4" closer to the fence than the rear wheel. With the versa feeder style as Delta calls it you will probably have to push and pull it as they are only 1/8th horsepower and from my past experience don't have a lot of umpf. I would also want to make sure that I was using a fence that locks front and rear so as not to knock my fence out of alignment. A unisaw has about the same distance on the back side of the blade so it won't help you much from that aspect. The thing a unisaw does have is a right cast iron extension wing which you can mount the feeder to so you can get bigger rips. IIRC, I believe you can get cast iron wings for a contractor saw, but they are not cheap.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I believe you want the feeder straddling the blade, just as it is supposed to straddle the cutterhead on a shaper.

You want the PF to be in control of the stock before it reaches the cutting edge to get a consistent cut.

-Mark

Chipper

New User
Steve
Using the PF on my shaper has me trained a certain way. The PF on my shaper is behind the cutter and angled toward the fence as I usually run crown moulding. The stock is 3/4 so there is only the edge to grab. It can't straddle the cuter very well. In the saw situation there is not much table back there behind the blade. If it straddled the blade I'd be limited to a minimum width of the PF wheels for stock width. I couldn't run 2-1/4 flooring... or maybe since it's 2-1/2 rip w/tongue. OK what am I going to do when I need paint stirrers.8-O

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sounds like you have really gotten hooked on the PF.:lol: BTW, I didn't think the wheels were that wide on the small one. Are they really over 2"? I will have to break down and check mine.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Using the PF on my shaper has me trained a certain way. The PF on my shaper is behind the cutter and angled toward the fence as I usually run crown moulding. The stock is 3/4 so there is only the edge to grab. It can't straddle the cuter very well. In the saw situation there is not much table back there behind the blade. If it straddled the blade I'd be limited to a minimum width of the PF wheels for stock width. I couldn't run 2-1/4 flooring... or maybe since it's 2-1/2 rip w/tongue. OK what am I going to do when I need paint stirrers.8-O
If you are getting consistent cuts start to finish on the crown, then I stand corrected. I'm surprised you can just handfeed and still get a good cut until the rollers engage :eusa_thin

On the saw, who says you're limited to the width of the PF tires ? My PF has a 1" wide groove in the first tire for just this situation. Well, not for cutting paint stirrers, but you know what I mean. :lol:

-Mark

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
On the saw, who says you're limited to the width of the PF tires ? My PF has a 1" wide groove in the first tire for just this situation. Well, not for cutting paint stirrers, but you know what I mean. :lol:

-Mark

:lol:I haven't made that upgrade to mine yet and I do mean yet. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS