trying to line up stand-by help in Holly Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Grizzly finally got the jointer planer combo I've been wanting in stock and now its on its way. :eusa_danc

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0634XP

I ordered lift gate service but they made it real clear that it may just end up being dropped off in my driveway. I am hoping to arrange some stand-by help in case I need to get it into the garage. Expected delivery date is Friday July 1 so depending on how things work out, I may need a few people either on Friday July 1, or the following Monday/Tuesday if they have July 4th off.

So far it seems everyone I've seen who has ordered from Grizzly in this area has had the driver bring it into their garage so hoping I luck out as well. I recall some people mentioning tipping if he does this, whats a decent amount, $20?

thanks...Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I will be around this weekend. I will be coming in on Friday, but I think the office will start emptying after lunch.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Steve, I'm tied up on Friday but I can loan a pallet jack to the effort if you'd like to borrow it

Scott

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks you have plenty of help lined up, but I can also come up if you need some more.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
UPS got their wires crossed and the person scheduling the lift gate service didn't let the lift gate manager know so it went out on the wrong kind of truck.

Somehow they have it listed at 225 lbs while Grizzly has it listed at 705 lbs. :eek: Just to be safe, I'd prefer to use lift gate service than risk alot of backs getting it off the truck so rescheduled the delivery for Tuesday.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Right, 225 lbs. That's probably just the motor!

Anyway, Tuesday works for me if you need any help.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Unfortunately the machine is heading back to Grizzly. Somehow it ended up on its side and the driver needed my help getting it upright. We could see damage so I refused delivery. The thing wasn't centered quite right on the pallet and the vertical braces on one side were bowed out to accomodate parts that stuck out past the base and of course, thats the side it fell onto. I don't see how anyone might have layed it down gently so when it tipped, it would have been a jarring thud and who knows what might have been knocked loose.

Thanks for all the offers of help. Looks like the driver definitely would have been able to bring it into my garage.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well Shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:BangHead::eusa_doh:

That is very disappointing, Steve.

Oh well. If it is the same driver, maybe they will be a little more careful w/it.:icon_thum

Looking forward to hearing more pleasing news.

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Geez Steve. You are not having any good luck getting this J/P.

So what happens now? Is Grizzly sending a replacement? Any delivery schedule?

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Yeah, they seem to be working on it for me. I can't really blame Grizzly as its been all UPS's fault but UPS has been pretty good with it as well. It was the same driver who was sent out with the wrong truck on Friday and he blamed it on the dock workers. It wasn't strapped down and I guess a sharp enough turn could have tipped the tool. It's hard to imagine something as heavy being purposely loaded on it's side opposite the orientation arrows.

After I got back to work I called Grizzly to let them know I had refused delivery and a couple hours later someone called me back saying in a few days they will have another one on its way. I guess they just need to verify that the machine is on its way back so I don't end up with two.

At least I got to touch it and that there will be one available at this years scratch n dent sale, :gar-La;

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
A little off topic.

What size truck did UPS freight use to deliver your machine. I am curious what to expect when they deliver my tablesaw in a couple of weeks. If they send a small enough truck, I may be able to get them to back right up to the deck on the front of my shop. :eusa_danc

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
it was a full length semi trailer. like this but with the ups brown instead of blue

imagesCA7H319H.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Shoot. That's what I was afraid of.

There's no way a semi is going to back in to my shop. They'll have a hard enough time just backing down the cul-de-sac I live on.

Guess I'll just have it lowered into the bed of my pickup and back that up to the shop.

Any new news on the replacement J/P?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The 2 times I've ordered Grizzly equipment, I've just told them I'll pick it up at the terminal. It is near the airport in Morrisville and they just put it in the bed of the pickup with a forklift. The only challenge then is unloading it back at the shop. I usually unpack it on the pickup bed and move the pieces separately before assembling it.

But whatever works for you. My driveway is gravel and a few 100 feet long so no Semi is going to go back there.

- Ken.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Replacement came in today and it was wheeled right into my garage. :icon_cheers The previous one wasn't sitting on a pallet and an accessory box that I saw this time was not inside the crate either. The mobile base is arriving Thurs or Fri and hopefully this weekend or the next I can get it all in order and test it out.

Thanks again for all the offers I got to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors