Trying not to pull the plug

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
I try to run tools until they will not longer live. The batteries on my 20 yr old Makita 18V drill/driver are on their last legs. The driver's thingy that holds bits in place no longer holds bits in place - no biggie since it is not a daily user. Still, rather inconvenient. Discounting the thingy problem...

Tool Nut has replacement batteries for $105 ea. I need 2.
Tool Nut has a brushless 18V drill/dirver combo for $199.

I was thinking of taking the old batteries to Batteries+ to be rebuilt before I saw the Tool Nut offer.

Hhhmmm...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Newer drills are lighter, more powerful, and the battery technology is vastly superior. Why haven't you ordered the new tool already? More tools = happier. More tools = better. Tools are good. You want the tools. You need the tools. Tools are life.

Of course, you can then rebuilt the old batteries. Now you have TWO tools!

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
20 years? Are these the LXT 18v or Nicad or NiMH? If they're the LXT, the batteries can be had for a good bit less than $105 ea.

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion here. While the power and specs of battery tools has gone up up up over the last ten years, I feel like the quality control and durability has gone downhill.

I still have my ten year old Makita drill/driver kit and one of the batteries it came with. It has outlasted a newer replacement kit. The oldest drill I have has less run out and a better chuck than my newest one. If I was going to buy a new drill now, I'd look for a used one with a metal Chuck and gearbox.

The current Makita batteries have been around for a while and have a decent back catalog.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another option on getting the batteries rebuilt is Interstate Batteries. The general rule is if the battery case is screwed together, it can be rebuilt, Li Ion excepted. They do, however, carry their house brand of those to which I can attest they work on a par with DeWalt 20v. Cordless tool parts can also be purchased online to rebuild the older unit, but why not go ahead and upgrade to brushless if available if you're using it frequently? Otherwise, rebuild and keep for a loaner or spare.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
The odd one out here. Got rid of all of my battery operated tools, way back. At my workshop there are plenty outlets available, on job sites I have 250’ of power cord on a drum available and most have a power pole if it is still building in progress. Otherwise have a generator on my truck.

The hassle of remembering to charge one or more batteries all the time and then the hassle of a battery being depleted by Monday in the middle of a job and finally the life before replacement is just not for me. Then an urgent job comes up and I forgot to remove and charge batteries.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The odd one out here. Got rid of all of my battery operated tools, way back. At my workshop there are plenty outlets available, on job sites I have 250’ of power cord on a drum available and most have a power pole if it is still building in progress. Otherwise have a generator on my truck.

The hassle of remembering to charge one or more batteries all the time and then the hassle of a battery being depleted by Monday in the middle of a job and finally the life before replacement is just not for me. Then an urgent job comes up and I forgot to remove and charge batteries.
One of the main reasons we see so many cordless tools on our sites it OSHA. They don't question a cordless tool's safety, but they will give an extension cord with a broken ground or a frayed cover the third degree. Sure, we still see air driven nail guns and corded circular saws for large volume framing, miter saws for trim work, and screw guns for drywall, but just about everything else is cordless.

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
One of the main reasons we see so many cordless tools on our sites it OSHA. They don't question a cordless tool's safety, but they will give an extension cord with a broken ground or a frayed cover the third degree. Sure, we still see air driven nail guns and corded circular saws for large volume framing, miter saws for trim work, and screw guns for drywall, but just about everything else is cordless.

Do you do commercial?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Buy new, I have a 14.4 Makita drill bought 2 replacement batteries for 45 bucks off Amazon I think.
But, I only keep it for nostalgia.
Get new Cordless tools like everyone already recommended, they are way better.

BTW, the main reason most use cordless is not because of OSHA, it is because they are easier to set up and use, and most work does not require the power those tools have. We use both in our company (650 field workers) but 60-70% of the time the cordless will suffice.
OSHA can and will come to a residential site if there are 10 or more onsite.
Dennis is correct most often the tools that are used are the bigger or more powerful.

Some day we will all have to have to place mattresses around our ladders before using them :rolleyes: .....

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have used some Amazon batteries in a 12V Makita, 18V PC and 12V Milwaukee. Not sure they are just as good. Battery itself probably, but the newer ones have proprietary control circuits in them. New brush-less are longer running. A 20 year old, is that even Li-ion? A lot were still Ni-Cad. If Ni-Cad, no brainier.

I keep my corded old 1/2 inch Makita drill that wil pick you up and rotate you around the bit. Some tools are clumsy with batteries like angle grinders. Some just too expensive for the amount of use. But a set of smaller nimble 12V drill/driver combo and a bigger 18V set sure are handy. Pick a brand to reduce the number of different batteries and chargers. I have the M12 series. Debating on M18 or Makita. I personally hate DeWalt.

Bad extension cord, and OSHA? They should look all around a site with bad cords as if you are that careless with your cords, what else are you likely to do?

Here you go:

• Haha
Reactions: Oka

Sourwould

New User
Taylor
Buy new, I have a 14.4 Makita drill bought 2 replacement batteries for 45 bucks off Amazon I think.
But, I only keep it for nostalgia.
Get new Cordless tools like everyone already recommended, they are way better.

BTW, the main reason most use cordless is not because of OSHA, it is because they are easier to set up and use, and most work does not require the power those tools have. We use both in our company (650 field workers) but 60-70% of the time the cordless will suffice.
OSHA can and will come to a residential site if there are 10 or more onsite.
Dennis is correct most often the tools that are used are the bigger or more powerful.

Some day we will all have to have to place mattresses around our ladders before using them :rolleyes: .....

I've seen this in sites in the UK. When they're doing 2nd story floors they put these giant bean bags on the slab below. They look like they're like 4x8 ft. I certainly would feel better walking joists if I knew I wouldn't split my skull on a slab. If the GC makes a little less money...shrug.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Go pickup a Ridgid cordless from Home Depot and register it, the batteries are covered under their LSA so can get them replaced if they die

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
20 years? Are these the LXT 18v or Nicad or NiMH? If they're the LXT, the batteries can be had for a good bit less than $105 ea.

The batteries are lithium. Replacements (B1815 think I remember that model # correctly) are ~$80 most places. The $105 were for the new model brushless drill/driver batteries.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS