Truck bed extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
About a year or so ago, as I was I ordering something from Harbor Freight, I noticed I could spend another $20 or so without any more shipping cost. So, on whim I added their truck bed extender to my cart and completed the transaction. I figured it might come in handy one day... you see, my truck has the "length challenged" bed option, and every once in a while I get a load of lumber that just makes me a little nervous.

Well, that extender hung on the wall in my garage until today. I used it to haul some a load of lumber which included a 16' long 4x6. Yes, Woodguy, that's good ol' SYP... pressure treated, no less! :lol: Anyway, I think it worked pretty well:

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

It extends the effective support out to 10' on my truck, almost two feet beyond the end of the extended tail gate. It made the difference on this load. Of course, a strategically placed bag of sand would have had the same affect!!! :roll: I expect I'll use it again.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cool. I have always wondered how well those things work. I believe I just saw this extender on sale again at HF. Thanks for sharing.

D L

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Monty,

I don't mean to steal this thread, but that little compressor on the wall there......was that part of the walmart special? Somehow 3 of those ended up in my truck one of those days.......:lol:

Monty

New User
Monty
The weight limit is 350 lbs. And yes, that compressor is the WalMart $40 compressor - I got the last one in Hickory! :mrgreen: I use it all the time.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Good post Monty. I've been interested in those extenders for several years. Does the HF version have the capability to flip up 90 degrees? First saw them for over $200 on truck/camping websites. They could be pivoted up and serve as canoe (ladder) support from cab top to extender. Some of the borgs started carrying them for $75-$100 and the HF version is about $30. 8-O

Will it do this?

thule-997-goalpost-hitch-kayak-rack-240.jpg

Roger

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
sapwood said:
Good post Monty. I've been interested in those extenders for several years. Does the HF version have the capability to flip up 90 degrees? First saw them for over $200 on truck/camping websites. They could be pivoted up and serve as canoe (ladder) support from cab top to extender. Some of the borgs started carrying them for $75-$100 and the HF version is about $30. 8-O

Will it do this?

thule-997-goalpost-hitch-kayak-rack-240.jpg

Roger

Roger, from the looks of the HF version I bet it could easily be modified to do that. Just extend the vertical piece with some tubular steel and some clevis pins. Just a thought.

D L

J

jeff...

Instead of a few bags of sand I use a 4' section of railroad track. I must be a redneck, to own a piece of railroad track - geeze... I need to check myself :drunken_s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS