Trouble with CA Finish on Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_C

New User
Gary
So far I've made about a dozen pens. Tried a CA finish on the last five. First I used a Q-Tip and applied the CA while rotating the pens on the lathe by hand. The I read about the method of using a paper towel applicator and letting the lathe run while applying the glue. So I've tried that three times with poor results. My best CA finishes have been done with the Q-tip method.

I made a pad of paper towel and put a liberal puddle of glue on the towel and apply. The blank looks nice when the glue is applied but if I buff the blank with the applicator the glue turns white and the finish is rough. Not sure if the drying glue is picking up debris from the paper towel or its just the glue drying. But it looks horrid. If I remove the applicator before the CA turns white...while the glue is still in its shiny stage...then the glue dries with lines in it from the spinning mandrel. i wonder if its too much glue and drying uneven...

This pen was cocobolo and looked very nice BEFORE the finish. Used micro-mesh all the way to the finest grit. After the finish...it doesn't look so nice anymore. I've already sanded off the first trial and refinished and I'm afraid to sand it any more. I'll probably just leave it and hope the next one is better...not sure if I'm doing something wrong or just need to practice...

OTOH...not sure I'll be able to continue with the CA finishes...I think I'm getting a contact dermatitis on my wrists after applying the CA finish. I may need to explore other options for finishes on my pens...

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
the way I was taught with the paper towel method is as the blank is turning run a light bead of CA along the blank from one end to the other then use a clean folded up towel to smooth it out. I fold the towel so that its about 2 fingers width and lightly swipe it 2-3 times with very light pressure then hit it with accelerator. Make sure the accelarator is dry then repeat it about 6 times using a fresh part of the paper towel each time. I use light CA, for medium CA, you probably wont need to apply 6 times.

I then sand it down using the highest grit I finished the pen blank with till all the gloss is gone. I then use the mesh to bringit back to a shine.

this is something similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSKSep2YTP8&feature=related

I think part of your problem is applying the CA to the towel and then to the blank

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've tried several methods and the best one I've come up with is using my bare fingers as you turn the lathe by hand. Make sure you don't have any accelerant on your fingers otherwise you'll glue your finger to the blank real quick. DAMHIKT :rotflm:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I use the little plastic bags over my finger tips, the ones that come with most pen kits. That method works well for me.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I use CA quite often. I think the best method (for me) is to let the lathe run on the slowest speed. Drizzle a drop or two on top of the turning while the paper towel is touching the bottom. The lathe will spin the ca down to the paper and you smooth it out working from one side to the other. I use the blue shop towels cut into small strips. I fold the strips into 1'' squares. I also use latex gloves to keep the ca off my skin. Since you are starting to learn I suggest a facesheild til you get the hang of it.
I think you are making the mistake of going over the ca to much. Once you apply it to an area don't go back over it. Yes you will have streaks and swirls but you can clean them up after you are done. Put 8 coats on. Make sure one is dry before the next goes on. Be sure all coats are cured out. I wait an hour or so then wet sand with 1000, 1500, and 2000. Micromesh works too. You can sand through the finish so don't sand too much. Use plenty of water. After I am done wet sanding I use a drop of plastic polish to finish it up. When it is done it should look like you dipped the turning in glass.
Hope that helps!!

Gary_C

New User
Gary
Thanks for all the tips...I'll keep trying and hope they gets better...

I think you are making the mistake of going over the ca to much. Once you apply it to an area don't go back over it.

Yes, I think that's it too. Because it looked fine right up until the instant the pen lost its lustre and the white fibers appeared in the finish (I think they were from the towel). I know I saw a video tutorial about applying the CA the way I did but I'll try dripping the glue onto the spinning blank and see if that works better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors