Tried a coring tool today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Nate brought his McNaughton coring tool over and we played. First two blanks I picked was dry silver maple. Big mistake, it doesn't work well with dry wood. One came right off the chuck, and you could hear both pieces crack. Never heard wood crack just sitting there. So I chucked up some green sweet gum. That cored much better, though it was small they came out ok. I don't think I'll be investing in one though, it's a lot of work and not much fun to use IMO.

No pics, sorry.

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
I like the articulated arm much better for hollowing. No catches and, if you drill a starter hole, it really goes fast. I can hollow out a 6" round x 6" deep in about 30 minutes....including removing the chips. With the laser attachment, getting 1/8" wall thickness is pretty fool proof.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Ed - I'm not sure I 'follow' your post

Ed - I'm not sure I 'follow' your post....although my post is the next one - so I do "follow" in sequence.

Ed - You seem to be addressing coring (excavating the inside) of a hollow form. Is that right?
I thought Rob was talking about coring multiple bowls from a single blank.

I would like to hear more about your hollow form articulated arm system. Commercial or shop-made? Size capabilities? Type of cutter needed? How long have you had it and how heavily do you use it? etc.
I'd like to do hollow forms, but have nothing but a bowl gouge to use.

Henry W

Rob

New User
Rob
Re: Ed - I'm not sure I 'follow' your post

I have a hollowing rig, I was talking about coring, nested bowls.

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Rob and Henry,
My opologies. I was confused. I completely missed the post. Sorry. Now, on to the articulated arm. Mine is home made. I posted it here a couple of weeks ago. I use it quite a bit. I've been doing hollow forms of various shapes for about 6 months and have made about 40 pieces. I also posted some of my work here in another post. My rig uses a 3/4" bar about 16" long. The deepest thing I've done so far is about 8" x 6" diameter. hope this helps a little.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks - Link to your post?

Ed; Do you have a link to that post about your shop made articulated arm? I must have missed that. Of course I could exercise my own mental faculties and type terms into a search box, but nah this way is much more interactive and social, and I need to get out more.... besides I am lazy.

I expect I can find it if you don't have a link.

Thanks guys for the info - on both 'coring' systems.

Henry W

EdMorgano

New User
Ed
Re: Thanks - Link to your post?

Ed; Do you have a link to that post about your shop made articulated arm? I must have missed that. Of course I could exercise my own mental faculties and type terms into a search box, but nah this way is much more interactive and social, and I need to get out more.... besides I am lazy.

I expect I can find it if you don't have a link.

Thanks guys for the info - on both 'coring' systems.

Henry W

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41900. That will take you to the home made lathe and articulated arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors