Trestle table in maple & bloodwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Finally getting around to posting this. Any feedback / comments are welcome!

IMG_0298.jpg

see more here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2966

llucas

luke
Senior User
Rob, VERY nice....I love the striking contrast in colors and the simple/elegant pattern. The finish looks amazing as well...what finish technique did you use?

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Rob, the table is very, very beautiful, and the finish is fantastic. I have never used that particular finish schedule, but I may have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
WOW what a beautiful piece of work. I am humbled as I look at it. Very nice.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Nicely done and finished, Rob.

That GF product is a water-borne varnish for exterior use. Why did you choose it over hundreds of other finishes? Just curious.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Beautiful table Rob. Great design facilitated by the comments made on this Board. Another reason for everyone to step up to support it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob,
That is REALLY nice - I like the craftsmanship - but LOVE the design!

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Nicely done and finished, Rob.

That GF product is a water-borne varnish for exterior use. Why did you choose it over hundreds of other finishes? Just curious.

Some of the reasons I chose that finish:
I wanted a finish that imparted very little color on its own (meaning it didn't 'amber', etc)
Could be applied with a brush (I currently don't have a spray setup)
Could build a relatively (and I mean relatively) hard finish (I have a 3yr old and a newborn, so this table will likely take a beating over its lifetime)
Something that could be repaired later (meaning additional coats could be applied over if needed to create a single thick coat)
And finally, the table sits right in front a window which receives a lot of sunlight during the day and the exterior aspect of that finish provides _some_ UV blocking.

I'm willing to bet that there are other finishes that would have checked those boxes, and I'll gladly take input on any suggestions for next time!

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, you are off to a great start building your furniture. The piece in the center - is that a lazy susan?

rob.nester

New User
Rob
Rob, you are off to a great start building your furniture. The piece in the center - is that a lazy susan?

Thank you Raymond!

The piece in the center was a sample panel made to determine if my "design approval department", aka the wife, preferred bloodwood with hard maple, padouk with hard maple, padouk with soft maple, or bloodwood with soft maple... I think it'll become a trivette or something once I get some of those little rubber feet for it...

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Stunning work Rob! Where did you get the happy anniversary coin that is let into (I assume) the lower stretcher? Edit: Well, on closer inspection, it looks like maybe laser-engraved maple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS