Treatment of wood before glazing

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I am building a little library from red cedar that will have a glass door and 2 stationary windows. The trim into which the glass will be mounted is white oak and I am near the point of adding the glass. The library will be outdoors and I plan to leave it unfinished but I am wondering if glazing unfinished white oak is OK, or should it be finished (and with what) before it is glazed.

Attachments

• little lib4a.jpg
    little lib4a.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 168

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Personally, I would use Spar Varnish. Or paint. I just don’t like the Gray.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
My concern is making sure there is a good bond between the glazing/sealant and the wood. If bare wood won't make good seal then I will apply a finish just to the glass/wood interface. I won't apply a finish to the library itself; I will leave that to the kids in the family I am giving it to.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
if glazing unfinished white oak is OK, or should it be finished (and with what) before it is glazed.

Are you referring to the glazing compound used to set the glass in the frame?

It can't hurt to apply some sort of finish to the white oak before setting the glass panes and fixing them in place with the glazing compound. Your finish options are more limited because this piece will be outdoors in the weather extremes.

However, I doubt that anyone will notice or object to the weathered gray look of the oak if you leave it unfinished.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
The glazing is to set the glass in place.
I have decided to prime and paint the area that the glass will contact. If I am careful it will not show. The rest will not be finished and will age over time or be painted by the recipients. The kids may like to add their touch also.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS