Trash Can Lid Separator Fit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey gang, I ordered one of the trash can lid separators and it says it fits a standard 20" can. Well, after dragging it through the store and trying it on each variety at the BORG, I still couldn't find one that seemed to fit properly.

Question: Is there supposed to be a snug fit or does the DC's suction create a seal? The metal cans were the closest match but left about a 1/2" gap between the lip and the outside of the can.

I am beginning to think that I should have just made my own, but the label is long gone for this item. :BangHead:

Mike

gator

George
Corporate Member
The metal can is a good fit. Once you turn on the DC, you won't be able to take the lid off the can until you turn off the DC.

George

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks George, I was thinking that would be the case but didn't want to have to make another purchase return.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What George said.

If you're still worried, or you can actually feel air leak, you can glue some weatherstripping to the lid, like Poly Caulk Saver (available at Home Depot). Of course, you could always make your own, and even add a baffle.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're worried about sealing, why not get some of that foam weatherstripping that's sticky on one side & go around the can rim?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree with his Gatorness. I also applied a strip of weather proofing foam to the inside of the lid, that mates with the lip of the can, and I have had no problems with getting a tight seal.
Dave:)

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Good tips as always. I will venture back out tomorrow to 'seal' the deal :spinny:

Rocker

New User
John
Michael,
I use split sided pipe insulation on the top edge of my trash can separator. You can find it in the plumbing section of the borg. It has adhesive on both sides of the split that sticks to the can.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You might not want the lid to fit too tight!

dust_can_001.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whoa! Looks like you need one of bas' baffles to keep it from collapsing! THEY DON'T MAKE 'EM LIKE THEY USED TO.....

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Point taken Joe! The sawdust shouldn't stand a chance with that setup. Although your cyclone action may be hampered by the newly found shape of the can 8-O

KC7CN

New User
Don
Hey gang, I ordered one of the trash can lid separators and it says it fits a standard 20" can. Well, after dragging it through the store and trying it on each variety at the BORG, I still couldn't find one that seemed to fit properly.

Question: Is there supposed to be a snug fit or does the DC's suction create a seal? The metal cans were the closest match but left about a 1/2" gap between the lip and the outside of the can.

I am beginning to think that I should have just made my own, but the label is long gone for this item. :BangHead:

Mike

I made this one!

Link to Dust Collector Pre-Separator photo album: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1022

Initially thought it was working, but that was not the case.

Bas also made one, but went one step further, and upgraded by adding Phil Thines. Baffle.

Link to Pre-Separator Upgrade photo album: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1080

This is a link to a forum Phil has for the baffle project: http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=aef619da17ff5b8097233d343ac73c0e&

The upgrade is working very good! I have about 1/2 can of sawdust, and no visible dust in the lower dust collector bag. The view window in the side of the can works good too! I installed a temporary 4W night light directly under the baffle, in order to see the cyclone action in the can. Works so good I'm going to just leave it there.:)

In response to your problem, the lid fits very tight. The can is no exactly round, not uncommon from what I've heard, but the lid is. The lid pulls the can into alignment -- and makes for a nice tight fit.

-Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
There are several advantages. I replaced the DC bags with a canister filter, and the filter stays much. much cleaner with the separator. Plus, the only thing that ends up in the filter is dust, no shavings, chips or splinters. That improves the airflow, as well as the lifespan of the canister

Hanging a plastic bag on my DC is no picnic. You need three hands to do it! Duct tape works to hold the bag in place while you wrestle the metal strap around, but it's still painful. I read someone used small magnets instead, I may have to try that. With a separator, you're changing bags maybe twice a year instead of twice a week. Plus, those plastic bags cost money. You can empty them of course, but every time you take it down/ put it up you risk damaging them.

Leaving the bag on also helps reduce the mess. The filter contains very fine dust, which gets EVERYWHERE when the bag is off. Emptying a trash can is much simpler.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
HOLY HANDGRENADE OF ANTIOCH BATMAN! What was on the other side of the hose, a 5HP motor with 18" impeller? Those cans aren't industrial grade, but not soda cans either.
Can you imagine what that could have done to a plastic can? :)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
HOLY HANDGRENADE OF ANTIOCH BATMAN! What was on the other side of the hose, a 5HP motor with 18" impeller? Those cans aren't industrial grade, but not soda cans either.
Can you imagine what that could have done to a plastic can? :)

thats why you should always have a blastgate open! or a few small leaks in the system.....:rolf: I use a plastic BRUTE can and mounted conections in the lid but with my tinny weennie 1 HP collector I dont see any problems like that!:eusa_doh:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anybody thought about rigging up a spring loaded gate like an inverted waste gate on a turbocharger? It would let in air below a certain negative pressure. Shouldn't be hard to build......:eusa_thin

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
There are several advantages. I replaced the DC bags with a canister filter, and the filter stays much. much cleaner with the separator. Plus, the only thing that ends up in the filter is dust, no shavings, chips or splinters. That improves the airflow, as well as the lifespan of the canister

Hanging a plastic bag on my DC is no picnic. You need three hands to do it! Duct tape works to hold the bag in place while you wrestle the metal strap around, but it's still painful. I read someone used small magnets instead, I may have to try that. With a separator, you're changing bags maybe twice a year instead of twice a week. Plus, those plastic bags cost money. You can empty them of course, but every time you take it down/ put it up you risk damaging them.

Leaving the bag on also helps reduce the mess. The filter contains very fine dust, which gets EVERYWHERE when the bag is off. Emptying a trash can is much simpler.

Bas, I have this Jet DC version B in the photo. Changing/emptying the plastic bag is easy but if a sharp splinter gets sucked up it will rip a hole in the bag which is a real problem because I lose suction capacity unless I can get a good tape seal over the hole. But I don't have room currently for a pre-separator but would consider it if I was to build a "Dream Shop".

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Space is always an issue. If you're feeling creative, you could try stacking it:
adc1.jpg

I've also seen pictures of people who mounted the motor to the wall to save space. But that only works if you have duct work of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS