Total Shop Planer?? similar to the Delta -380?

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Found this on the Knoxville, TN CL Total Shop TS 15-6 Planer

Anyone know of or have any info on them? Could make a trip over to visit my sister... :)

Found a thread that said it was very similar to the Delta 380. Found a few of those on You Tube.

Last edited:

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Exchanged a couple emails with owner. He says it is made by or is similar the the Shop Smith. Can't find any Shop Smith photos that look anything like this.

Not much help.

Matt Parker

New User
Matt
I can't find much on it other than people looking for parts to fix them, but its an interesting looking machine. I wouldn't make a trip for it, but if you're already out that way it wouldn't hurt to see what happens when you run a board through it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That planer is a pretty standard 4-post Taiwan-made planer design from the late 1980s to 1990s. Grizzly, Jet, and many others imported them at the time. Parts are usually interchangeable. Total Shop brand was mostly noted for selling a Taiwan-made copy of a Shop Smith but they imported and planers also. That style planer has proven itself to be surprisingly durable against low expectations of an entry-level Asian import.

Here's a shot of what the Grizzly people offered at the time (rusty as it is)

(edit)- the Total Shop planer has a head that moves up and down. The Griz pictured has a moveable bed and thus, a step up in quality. The gear box and other parts were similar if not identical.

1 Griz G1021 - 1.jpg
1 Griz G1021 - 1.jpg

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Finding parts appears to be almost impossible. I'd pass for $300 and buy a new planer locally like the DeWalt 735.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
It's a Delta 380 clone. Parts interchange from both Delta (impossible to get,) and Grizzly. The movable head allows for fixed in feed and out feed tables. My 380 has the fold down tables which could be easily duplicated, plus I have a spare Delta stand that is yours for the taking. This is a real planner, while the 735 is a wannabe planer. Try hogging of 1/8 inch on the 735, and you will know what I mean.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's a Delta 380 clone. Parts interchange from both Delta (impossible to get,) and Grizzly. The movable head allows for fixed in feed and out feed tables. My 380 has the fold down tables which could be easily duplicated, plus I have a spare Delta stand that is yours for the taking. This is a real planner, while the 735 is a wannabe planer. Try hogging of 1/8 inch on the 735, and you will know what I mean.

Multiple passes on the 735 will remove 1/8" but certainly not in a single pass and I doubt that this "real planer" will hog off 1/8" in a single pass either.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Well, it looks like he got quite the response. He has jacked the price up an additional $100. :O

I'm out at this point. If it were local I might go for it.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A portable suitcase screamer planer is more of a portable power tool. what was for sale is a shop floor machine. Maybe the difference between a portable circular saw and a table saw in that they both will so the same thing but there is a difference of convenience. Even for $400.00, if that planer ran well, it would be a good value. While its no Powermatic 180, it will eat a portable planer's lunch any time and well it should with an induction motor and nearly 400 lbs of cast iron.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Curious. You just don't want to buy a new planer locally for about the same price?
What Bob said above. :) Not opposed to buying another 'big box' locally, but I've found success with my old table saw and jointer. So if I can find a decent older planer, That is the direction I'm looking. Just a personal preference. :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
That's fine, I was just curious about your reasons. Certainly, if you have the space in your shop go for a stationary planer.

What Bob said above. :) Not opposed to buying another 'big box' locally, but I've found success with my old table saw and jointer. So if I can find a decent older planer, That is the direction I'm looking. Just a personal preference. :)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS