Total Novice

AnotherJim

Jim
Corporate Member
I've been interested in woodworking, at a distance, for a couple of years. I finally decided to jump in and get some tools other than hand saws, planes, and chisels. About me otherwise: I'm a retired scientist who moved to North Carolina a couple of years ago, just in time for COVID. I like to bicycle. And I'm a bookworm. I don't have a focused interest in woodworking, and I may be more interested in the tools and techniques than I am in the product; we'll see about that as time passes.

Anyone who would like to give me advice: 1) the local stores seem to be Woodcraft and Klingspor. Is there anything to recommend one over the other, and is one particular franchise location better than the others? 2) Where do you buy lumber for your projects? Do you buy 'green' wood and allow it to dry in your shop?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Klingspor by far and all locations are well run and well stocked. Also ship if you are not able to drive. A phone call can usually get you tool on the way to your door.

Personally I would not shop anywhere else, but that’s just me.

As for wood, buy kiln dried. Period.
If you have a planer and your time is not too crunched you can buy rough cut cheaper.
There are many good sawmills all around the State, some will kiln dry, plane, straight line rip one edge. That leaves you the least amount of rough labor and more time for the fun parts of your projects. But many still like to resaw and plane their wood for book matched panels and so on.

Anything else just ask, 10,000 woodworkers here and about as many opinions.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
One advantage of shopping at Klingspor's is that they give members of the forum a 10% discount on many of the items they sell. After you reach "User" level (member for 30 days, 5 total posts, "Who We Are" post), and opt-in to the discount program in the "Preferences" section of your account, they'll add you to their database. You'll need to be somewhat active on the forum to maintain "User" level

AnotherJim

Jim
Corporate Member
One advantage of shopping at Klingspor's is that they give members of the forum a 10% discount on many of the items they sell. After you reach "User" level (member for 30 days, 5 total posts, "Who We Are" post), and opt-in to the discount program in the "Preferences" section of your account, they'll add you to their database. You'll need to be somewhat active on the forum to maintain "User" level
Thanks for the info. I'll have my 5 posts up in no time.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome Jim, @AnotherJim
We are glad you found us and unfortunately many of us have that disease of not knowing if we enjoy woodworking, tool collecting, tool refurbishment or just talking about all of the above! (you are in GREAT standing)

I will put in another vote for Klingspor, not just because they are and have been a long-time supporter of the site, but the knowledgeable staff who are woodworkers themselves are VERY helpful when you have questions.

You will get out of NCWW what you put in - ask questions and as @Mike Davis said, you WILL get some answers!
And as always if someone asks a question and you have an answer - add your two cents!

Finally we LOVE pictures - tool pictures, shop pictures, shop pet pictures, jstu about anything - just remember this is a "family friendly" site, so keep it clean! (you speach and postings, not the shop... other than @Charlie everyone else "confesses to the mess!" LOL

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welcome Jim , this forum is a newbie to Artisan forum with everyone helping each other to a common goal ...... learn and improve your wood working skills. A great place, you will like it here.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I too prefer Klingspor, but there is nothing wrong with Woodcraft. The Hardwood store in Gibsonville and a longer drive the store in Charlotte is amazing. Friendly bunch here. Occasional lunch at a very nice pub ,McGregors, but it is very expensive as it is right across from Klingspor and you can't get away without buying something.

Lots of hands on help and advice here. For more remote advice, but often quite helpful, is a more international forum, Lumberjocks.

I have done a little green resaw and am drying some now, but more to understand the issues and basically, could not stand to see a Walnut tree go to the dump. Best left to those who want to do it on a large enough scale.

Woodworking has always helped with balance of life. Leave the office behind and do something with your hands even if it is turning a branch into a toothpick with an old Barlow.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
+1 on kiln dried lumber. If you can buy KD lumber rough, so much the better. I have air dried a ton on lumber this has its advantages, too, the main one being seasoned wood has less stress. But you have to fight insect infestation and you still have to get it down to 6-8% moisture for furniture.

Having ww’ing tools and not creating something is like having a lab and never running a test or experiment.

My advice don’t be too analytical. Us science people have that issue.

WW‘ing is 25% materials, 50% crafstmanship, and 25% art.

The most fun I’ve had is chip carving. The most frustrating is finishing. Then most rewarding is a nice piece of furniture.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, good questions and a host of good answers. If you haven’t done so already I suggest you dig through the forum and the gallery. That is a great place for inspiration.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
+1 on kiln dried lumber. If you can buy KD lumber rough, so much the better. I have air dried a ton on lumber this has its advantages, too, the main one being seasoned wood has less stress. But you have to fight insect infestation and you still have to get it down to 6-8% moisture for furniture.

Having ww’ing tools and not creating something is like having a lab and never running a test or experiment.

My advice don’t be too analytical. Us science people have that issue.

WW‘ing is 25% materials, 50% crafstmanship, and 25% art.

The most fun I’ve had is chip carving. The most frustrating is finishing. Then most rewarding is a nice piece of furniture.
You mean we tend to over analyze?

One of the lessons I took from the Krenov books was the difference between a craftsman and a master is the ability to hide your mistakes. We are only people working in wood, so we don't live in Perfect.

I should try chip carving one of these days, though the family list of projects has me backed up for a while.

Attachments

• retentive-anal_retentive.jpg
    retentive-anal_retentive.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 139

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have shopped at Woodcraft and at Klingspor’s. Klingspor’s staff are friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to help...

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Neither Woodcraft or Klingspor are well stocked now. It may be just the things I am looking for or it might be the 100 or so ships that are in the harbors waiting to be unloaded. Then there is the lack of trucking to get the containers to their destinations.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome...I've done most of my shopping at Woodcraft and found the staff pretty helpful (though sometimes slow). I may have to visit Klingspor though they are a bit further away than Woodcraft.

Pompeio

New User
Mike
I went to a Klingspor store (in Hickory) for the first time last month and found the staff very helpful, courteous and knowledgeable. I thought the store was well stocked but I do not know how much more would have been available if we were not in the present environment.
I rarely post because I am not confident in my work. I have made some cabinets for our house and I am getting better at hiding my mistakes. I also bought a nice lathe and am turning some small items.
Stating the above I can also say that the members of this forum are very helpful and accommodating.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I rarely post because I am not confident in my work. I have made some cabinets for our house and I am getting better at hiding my mistakes. I also bought a nice lathe and am turning some small items.
Hi Mike,
Post pictures - I bet you'd be surprised. There's nothing to be ashamed of (maybe not the right word). You made it yourself and not a lot of people can say that. We tend to be way more critical of our work than others. I post pictures of coasters...that's no cabinet! I've never made a cabinet but would aspire to do so some day. I would expect you'd receive only positive feedback.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS