Torsion box work bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I need to build myself a work bench.

As I have ponderd the idea of a bench, the thought occured to me. Why not just build a torsion box and use that. If I added material to the areas where vises would be attached, and filled the cavities with some sand to add weight wouldn't that make a pretty good inexpensive, flat work bench?

While I would love to build a classic workbench, I just can't afford the materials to build what I really want. In the mean time, I have had several instances where a work bench with a good vise would have really helped.

So, what do you think? Would a MDF torsion box fortified as necessary do the trick?

Matt

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Use a solid core door. Find one dinged at the BORG and ask for a discount. Gives you a solid, heavy work surface, it's quick and cheap!!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. The only concern I'd have is damaging the top. I assume you want to use MDF to build the torsion box, which is cheap & flat, but not very strong. So make sure you use a replaceable top. Geoff mentioned a solid core door, another option is to use Southern Yellow Pine. You can get it at Home Depot for very little money, and it makes for a pretty decent bench.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Matt,
Here's an instruction video on making the tortion box that might be of interest to you....

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-18-assembly-table-torsion-box/

I have actually built a torsion box for an assembly table. I used a sheet of hardi board for a replaceable top. I am thinking of similar scenario for the workbench top.

My only concern is that building a bench in the same way will not provide enough weight and mass, to keep it stable. Hence the reason for adding sand or something similar. I would like to use SYP to build it from, but I can build one from MDF for way less.

I guess I was looking for thoughts on stability, rigidity, and the like as it would pertain to a workbench.

Matt

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
A torsion box should be fine. Make sure the top skin is rigid (use 3/4" MDF) enough and protected- I overlayed the top with formica. Since I haven't yet built my WW bench I use the assembly table. Here is the construction thread. My method of construction is easier than the Wood Whisperer and David Marks. I have a metal-working vise bolted to a piece of ply which I clamp to the table when I need it. I would not fill the voids with sand. It would be a mess and it would be hard to make it lighter. If you want a heavier table (mine is pretty heavy) I would add weight to the underside somehow.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. The only concern I'd have is damaging the top. I assume you want to use MDF to build the torsion box, which is cheap & flat, but not very strong. So make sure you use a replaceable top. Geoff mentioned a solid core door, another option is to use Southern Yellow Pine. You can get it at Home Depot for very little money, and it makes for a pretty decent bench.

Your bench is SYP, right Bas ? And I think that yours came out great.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
The idea of a torsion box for your workbench sounds great. I would put a removable top on it. I have a piece of 1/4" hard board on my bench screwed in place. When the top gets really beat up take it off and use it as a template to make a new top.

Check out this site for some ideas about clamping and bench dog for a torsion box.

http://www.blumtool.com/pages/benchhorse.html

Rick Doby

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Your bench is SYP, right Bas ? And I think that yours came out great.
Yup, mine is SYP. Sufficiently heavy and sufficiently cheap :) I think I spent $75 in lumber, and double that in hardware/ glue/ finish/ mobile base.

An MDF work bench filled with sand should cost about the same, and have the added advantage that it would be very flat. But I've found that a work bench is NOT the same as an assembly table. My bench is 24" wide, if I ever build a new one it would be 28" - but not more. And that's too narrow to serve as an assembly table.

I wonder - an MDF torsion box, could you make holes in the bottom with plugs, and use those holes to fill/ drain the sand? That would be really useful.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I wonder - an MDF torsion box, could you make holes in the bottom with plugs, and use those holes to fill/ drain the sand? That would be really useful.

You would need to tilt it back and forth to get out all the sand. If you leave it is and use coarse sand/fine gravel you can make one of those rain forrest noise makers. :rotflm:

DavidF

New User
David
A torsion box should be fine. Make sure the top skin is rigid (use 3/4" MDF) enough and protected- I overlayed the top with formica. Since I haven't yet built my WW bench I use the assembly table. Here is the construction thread. My method of construction is easier than the Wood Whisperer and David Marks. I have a metal-working vise bolted to a piece of ply which I clamp to the table when I need it. I would not fill the voids with sand. It would be a mess and it would be hard to make it lighter. If you want a heavier table (mine is pretty heavy) I would add weight to the underside somehow.

I would only use 3/4 if you wanted it for the weight, after all the whole point of a torsion box is strong BUT light weight. I built mine with outer skins of 1/2" with the core divided into 6" squares also with 1/2" the top then was skinned with Hardboard to make it replaceable. The top doesn't really need to be the heavy part really. Mine is pretty heavy as it is, certainly it takes two people to lift it. It is the fixing to the base and the weight of the base that is important I would say. A heavy top on a not so sturdy base will defeat the object.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You would need to tilt it back and forth to get out all the sand. If you leave it is and use coarse sand/fine gravel you can make one of those rain forrest noise makers. :rotflm:
If David Marks can make a drum table, someone else can certainly make a maracas work bench :)

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Yup, mine is SYP. Sufficiently heavy and sufficiently cheap :) I think I spent $75 in lumber, and double that in hardware/ glue/ finish/ mobile base.

Bas,
How long ago did you build your bench at that price? I would definitely prefer to build in that method, I just thought I could build it cheaper with MDF. Same basic size (+/- 28"x96"). Building with 2x12x16 (HD prices) it's a little more than $80 just for the top and probably half that again for the base.

I may just save for a while and build it from SYP, but like I said, I have already had several instances where I could have made great use of a bench. And I just know when I start building a crib for my neices' coming baby I'll really wish I had one.

Matt

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas,
How long ago did you build your bench at that price? I would definitely prefer to build in that method, I just thought I could build it cheaper with MDF. Same basic size (+/- 28"x96"). Building with 2x12x16 (HD prices) it's a little more than $80 just for the top and probably half that again for the base.
Matt
Well, mine is a little smaller - 24"x 72". That makes a difference. I made it about a year ago, lumber has gone up a bit since then with the rising energy costs - maybe 10%-15%. The longer/ wider boards tend to cost more. The 2x10s were the best value for me, I ripped them into strips 3" wide and glued them all together to get to 24" width. Very little waste.

I think your MDF torsion box construction would be fine, so if price is paramount, then go for that. I don't hate MDF as much as some people do, but you're looking at an awful lot of dust though. Also, I think you'll need to add a hardwood skirt around an MDF top to prevent damage and mount the vise. That's extra cost, unless you have some spare stock lying around.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You may want to try and find an old FWW shops issue with an article on making a pretty decent workbench out of plywood. The legs are laminated of 5 pieces of 3/4 plywood - more than 3 inches - and the center ply is ommitted in a few instances to create mortises. I think he used 2 or 3 sheets of 3/4 ply. Not terribly expensive. The top was 3/4 plywood with a replaceable later of 3/4 MDF on top of that and a hardwood edge. It looks really simple, pretty cheap, and solid.

Jim

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I hate to admit it, it hurts my soul, but if it were me in your position I would go the Bas route. :swoon: Lumber prices are down now (downturn in construction) so it is as good a time as any to get SYP.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I hate to admit it, it hurts my soul, but if it were me in your position I would go the Bas route. :swoon:
Travis, I _almost_ believe you...except that I know for a fact that you sold your soul for that massive jointer of yours :rolf:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis, I _almost_ believe you...except that I know for a fact that you sold your soul for that massive jointer of yours :rolf:

You got it wrong. It was for the wide belt sander. I am still hearing about that one.:wsad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS