torsion box problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I built a pair of infeed/outfeed tables for my planer - 48x15". They ended up not being as flat as I had hoped...I have a theory as to the problem but am seeking alternative explanations.

I used 3/4" MDF for the sides with 1/4" MDF for the grid and top/bottom surfaces. I started by gluing up the 4 sides. I positioned the sawhorses to minimize sag and used a 48" Starret straightedge to check for any bow. I used winding sticks to judge twist - wedging between the parts and the sawhorses to compensate. I then glued and pinned the bottom surface (1/4" MDF), again checking for bow and twist. They had a day for the glue to dry. I then flipped them over and adjusted for bow and twist again (they were still pretty flexible at this point). I then glued in the grids. They fit amazingly well (I dare say perfect) - there were 2 running the length and 5 running the width. I then added glue to the top of the grid, placed the top and clamped (moderate pressure) with cauls. I checked for twist again, though this was tricky with all the clamps in the way. I could not check for bow at this point with all the clamps in place but had no reason to believe it had moved since the last check (10 minutes prior). BTW, the grids are 2.5" in height, plus 2x1/4" for the top/bottom makes a total box height of 3".

Both boxes seemed straight and flat when I took the clamps off a day later, though I can't recall how closely I checked. I set them aside to work on some other things. Measuring today (2-3 weeks later?), they both have an identical 3/64" sag when supported at the ends - which over 48" is considerably more than I had hoped for. If I flip them upside down, the direction and magnitude of the sag does not change - i.e. they are "sagging" up. There is no twist. Moderate pressure does not change the sag - they seem to be VERY stiff - at least within the expected use load.

My shop is cool (~65F) and there is a dehumidifer. The thicker MDF had been in the shop for years. Some of the 1/4" had been in the shop for a few weeks, some for just a few days.

The one thing I haven't mentioned yet - the top skin has plastic laminate applied to the top. It had been applied to the MDF a few days prior to assembling the box. Maybe related? My only explanation is that some of the MDF was pretty dry and that as moisture has entered the material it expanded a bit. The laminate on the top prevented absorption...therefore not expanding and resulting in the bow. It seems unlikely, as the MDF was purchased from Home Depot. I would not expect it to any drier than my shop...though I have not taken a humidity reading at either location. Maybe moisture from the contact cement used to apply the laminate has left the MDF, shrinking it? That seems highly unlikely - as the laminate itself is not going to shrink...not even a little.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. I was pretty meticulous with this and had been expecting no measurable sag when not loaded. THat both sagged the exact same amount in the same direction implies this was a design/technique problrm, rather than the variability of accuracty here or there.

TIA,
Chris

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Chris,

The torsion box really isn't "sagging"- it was built with a bow in it.

Two things come to mind- one, your assembly platform if you used one wasn't flat - it sounds like you only used just saw horses to support each end of the torsion box. You inadvertently built the sag into the torsion because the parts or the platform sagged under the weight of parts, clamps, etc. as the glue set.

Or two, the area where you built it has high humidity. and the skin without laminate absorbed moisture and the torsion box warped before the glue hardened. remember ww glue contains water unless you used epoxy. It is always recommended that both top skin and bottom be sealed.

But frankly, if built flat, torsion boxes usually stay that way. Below are a sketch and picture of the construction platform I used to build my torsion boxes. All the 2 X 4 lumber was jointed flat and planed to the exact same thickness. It has two longitudinals set on two saw horses that were firmly anchored to the floor and multiple laterals space out along the top of the longitudinals. Everything was leveled with winding sticks then kept stationary with hot melt glue. I then placed the skins on the platform and built the web with half lap joints. All web material was cut at the same time and absolutely the same width. Also all intersections were absolutely flat. I used bricks on the web while the glue dried. Once the glue of the web was dry I attached one skin at a time, again using bricks to keep good contact and everything flat (other skin was covered wil plastic to protect it.

The torsion box pictured is 8' long x 18" X 3" and made from 3/16" hardboard. It was built on the platform and is flat. In the pic it is loaded with over 300# of bricks yet is only sagging 1/2" in the center. It has been totally unfinished and sitting in my unheated (cold, damp and hot/humid) garage for 6 months and is still flat.

You must start with a flat and stable platform to end up with a flat torsion box.

Platform_FigG.jpg

P10100854.JPG

IMG_2579.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The one pictured with bricks on it weighs 30lbs. It was just glued together with ww glue. Since the web was too thin to attach sides with brad nails I left the grid exposed. I never loaded it to failure so don't know how much it could actually hold but the bricks weighed close to 318 lbs. I built it for my articles (on the stands in Nov?), but kept it around to use as a scaffold.

My other tables (on the left in the shop pic) were made with 1/2" mdf skins and grids, weighed considerably more!!!!

The extension and outfeed tables for my saw used 1/2" skins, oak grid, and no bottom skin.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yea, what Alan said! ;0)

Chris,

The torsion box really isn't "sagging"- it was built with a bow in it.

Two things come to mind- one, your assembly platform if you used one wasn't flat - it sounds like you only used just saw horses to support each end of the torsion box. You inadvertently built the sag into the torsion because the parts or the platform sagged under the weight of parts, clamps, etc. as the glue set.

Or two, the area where you built it has high humidity. and the skin without laminate absorbed moisture and the torsion box warped before the glue hardened. remember ww glue contains water unless you used epoxy. It is always recommended that both top skin and bottom be sealed.

But frankly, if built flat, torsion boxes usually stay that way. Below are a sketch and picture of the construction platform I used to build my torsion boxes. All the 2 X 4 lumber was jointed flat and planed to the exact same thickness. It has two longitudinals set on two saw horses that were firmly anchored to the floor and multiple laterals space out along the top of the longitudinals. Everything was leveled with winding sticks then kept stationary with hot melt glue. I then placed the skins on the platform and built the web with half lap joints. All web material was cut at the same time and absolutely the same width. Also all intersections were absolutely flat. I used bricks on the web while the glue dried. Once the glue of the web was dry I attached one skin at a time, again using bricks to keep good contact and everything flat (other skin was covered wil plastic to protect it.

The torsion box pictured is 8' long x 18" X 3" and made from 3/16" hardboard. It was built on the platform and is flat. In the pic it is loaded with over 300# of bricks yet is only sagging 1/2" in the center. It has been totally unfinished and sitting in my unheated (cold, damp and hot/humid) garage for 6 months and is still flat.

You must start with a flat and stable platform to end up with a flat torsion box.

Platform_FigG.jpg

P10100854.JPG

IMG_2579.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS