Torsion Box Garage Doors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I want to replace an old and worn out single garage door with swing open barn style doors. Something like this:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/gar-dr-1.htm

He used 2x4's and sheathing and it has to weigh a ton. I was thinking of making one of a torsion box and filling the interior cavity with insulation.

Opinions? - Come on, I know you have one !!! :wink_smil

pete

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Pete,
At a previous shop that I had, I built barn doors,4'x7' each, using 2x4's with T-111 on the outside and luan for the inside skin, they were insulated by filling the void with 1 1/2" thick foam. They were heavy, but not unworkable as I installed the myself usint (3) strap hinges. They were still holding up well 8 years later when I moved.

Good Luck.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
They were heavy, but not unworkable as I installed the myself usint (3) strap hinges. They were still holding up well 8 years later when I moved.

What kind (size) of hinges did you use. The "demo doors" had 6 butt hinges at $30 each. A little pricey!!!

pete

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
What kind (size) of hinges did you use. The "demo doors" had 6 butt hinges at $30 each. A little pricey!!!

pete

Pete,

I used hinges likke these:

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/defa...+Zinc+Plated(2C)+Lifespan®+Heavy+T-Hinge

They were either Stanley or National brand and I bought them at a small hardware store up by my Inlaws in Vermont. I paid less than $40 for six of them, but that was back in 1997. Try looking for them in a Tractor Supply store or someplace like it that would supply farmers.

Good Luck.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Pete, I'm planning to build torsion box doors for my new shop. The big doors will be 14' tall and 10' wide, and right now I'm leaning towards using trailer axle hub and bearings for my support system, rather than strap hinges. It will probably work out to the the same cost, but the axles should have a much superior longevity and capacity, as well as lower friction.

The doors will probably be 8" thick, with some 2 x 8 perimeter structure and a lot of 1/2" CDX plywood internal structure for reduced weight. My box sizes will probably be in the 9" - 12" range; I haven't figured that part out yet. Interior and exterior skins will be 1/2" CDX "Green zip board", with SYP board and batten siding applied over the external CDX.

I plan on having the cavities inside filled with spray foam insulation (light, ridgid, strong and high R value). The foam will be professionall applied.

I have the advantage of having welding and machining equipment to fab with though...

Scott

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pete, when you build these doors be sure and use a3-5 degree bevel on the vertical edges. They will bind when closed on the hinge face and not bypass each other's faces when opening if you don't. Good luck.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Pete, I'm planning to build torsion box doors for my new shop. The big doors will be 14' tall and 10' wide

[...]

The doors will probably be 8" thick

[...]

I plan on having the cavities inside filled with spray foam insulation

[...]

I have the advantage of having welding and machining equipment to fab with though...
You know, if we ever have a category 5 hurricane coming through, I know where I'd want to take shelter :)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You know, if we ever have a category 5 hurricane coming through, I know where I'd want to take shelter :)

<grin>

The best part is, since I'll have generator power we'll be able to woodwork our way though the hurricane! :rotflm:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
........and if the next Cat 5 is like when Hugo passed through here there'll be no shortage of materials to work with!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
<grin>

The best part is, since I'll have generator power we'll be able to woodwork our way though the hurricane! :rotflm:
I was thinking having power would ensure the beers remained cold. But I guess being able to do woodworking is good too :rolf:

T

toolferone

Not totally what you are looking for, but here is the door I built for my shop.

Here is more info and pics if you like. http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/door.htm

insidedoorfoam.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS