Tool questions just getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I'm just getting started in hand carving. Im A little overwhelmed at this point by the number of different carving gouges.
I'm looking at full size mallet type tools.
Looking for advice on brands/quality (I don't mind spending for quality tools).

I know there are starter sets but I am looking for an experienced carver to give me his "short list" for a beginning carver.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There are several experienced, even professional, carvers on this site. Hopefully they will jump in w/ their thoughts. Also, if you can find some YouTube videos by Mary May, that may give you an idea of the basic tools she uses.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
In our Articles Section we have the chat transcripts from when Mary May visited us. She offers many tips on tools for new carvers.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
In our Articles Section we have the chat transcripts from when Mary May visited us. She offers many tips on tools for new carvers.
Berta,
Did you mean the guest speaker chat transcripts, or was there an actual article? (I can't find it if there is...)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Go to the Articles tab at the top/when you get there the menu is on the far right/select Chat Transcripts/You'll find it on that page.

Or just click here http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...-May-Wood-and-Stone-Carver-Chat-(2013-May-16)

Mary uses the traditional full size carving tools so her advice will be just what you need.

In my opinion you can get by with about 3 basic carving chisels and then get more specialized ones as your needs grow and refine. Definitely need a V-tool then you can use something like a #3/12 and #5/12. Something in that ballpark will get you started.

Chris Pye also has an excellent website with how-to videos that cover tool selection/sharpening/work area and the whole nine yards. It is premium content though with about a $10/month subscription. You can investigate the free parts of the site to see if your interested.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mike Davis referenced the Hirsch carving tools that I got for Stave's first class given here in the Asheville area. Here is the set I purchased and they are excellent (Item A in the link). Well worth the money and they hold a keen edge. I've added more, but this is a great starting set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS