Tool Gloat DW735

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Picked this earlier this week. Barely used and good price. I haven't even had the chance to plug it in yet. Hopefully this weekend.

Have a question though. Instructions say not to change feed roller speeds unless running. The switch is currently between the 1 and 2 which I think means someone attempted to change while not running. How do I remedy this without inadvertently causing damage?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 51

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I've never had to disassemble the transmission to say for certain, but it is my expectation that if you will turn it to whichever side it most wants to fall into (when off), then apply gentle pressure to the switch as you turn it on to finish engaging then it should drop into gear without too much fanfare. If it does not wish to go to one side, then try the other. Obviously, if you hear a lot of grinding then you'll want to turn it off and research a bit more, but I don't think you'll have any real problems.

The main reason one switches while running is that it is a simple transmission and (not unlike a bicycle's transmission) requires motion to smoothly transition from one speed to another without getting stuck.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I just bought a new 735 and disassembled it to put in a Byrd Shelix head. Since doing so I understand the gear box a lot better. Turn it on and switch it over. It will be fine!!! I love mine with the new head!!

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
Thanks guys. I got a chance to set it up this afternoon. Cleaned, waxed, and leveled the in/out feed extensions. The speed selector switch slid right into position when I turned it on.

I turned 5 rough 3/4" x 7" wide boards into some very nice 9/16" usable stock. These were some scrap I grabbed from our shipping department, cut-off's from our crate/pallet guys. Filled up the dust collection bag with almost zero stray shavings anywhere. Really surprised at that!

I couldn't read the letters on the height adjustment wheel in the low light, so I took a sharpie to them.

i am going to love using this planer.

Brian

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 46

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I notice the crank handle is missing in your photo. If it was not by choice and you are missing the handle and it is a nearly new planer, you have a good chance of talking DeWalt into sending you the missing part free of charge. Just tell them it was an "Open Box" purchase and the part was missing.

The crank is much easier (and quicker) to turn with the handle in place.

A great upgrade to the DW735, if interested, is the Wixey digital readout gauge, which makes setting very consistent thicknesses... or matching precisely the thickness of an existing piece, very easy and precise.

The DW735 has an amazingly powerful blower ... if using with a dust collector, make sure that all your other blast gates are closed and that you actually remember to turn the DC on. I once planed several large boards and forgot that the DC was OFF and had an open blast gate at my tablesaw and was wondering why I had a fountain of chips raining down from he tablesaw.

BrianBDH

New User
Brian
I have the crank handle. The space I "created" to store this monster wasn't quite wide enough for the handle. 1 minute replace or remove when using. I am used to that because I have to return my " shop" to its garage configuration most nights.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS