Toning in a finish

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
My dilemma is being 1 1/2 hours away from any outfit who can successfully mix stain colors and a rush job for installation Monday.

Trying to match a grey toned cabinet, where the wood figure shows slightly through the color.

Got the local Sherwin Williams to match a solid grey color pre cat lacquer. My plan is to mix that with clear lacquer and use it as a second and third coat to try and copy.

Wish me luck.

Anyone try this before?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Should work. I would start with a 1 part solid to 2 parts clear mix. Add retarder which will allow you to mist on the finish and build up to what you need. Good luck.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree take your time and build the finish a little at a time.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I tint poly all the time. Should be similar with lacquer. Of course, do a test piece first!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I recently had a customer want the same finish.... theirs was a Kraftmaid cabinet. All I had to work from was a photo of the door. Well, the difference between the photo and the actual door was amazing. I went in search of a door (lowes etc) and learned certain vendors have certain finishes (much like appliances). I was never able to find the exact same finish since it was through a "high end" cabinet retailer. Long story short, we decided on a completely different finish regimen since it was a different room. I did A LOT of test pieces however. Had I seen the actual Kraftmaid cabinet that was ultimately supplied, I think I could have matched it with the method youre suggesting. It appeared from the photos the finish color was wiped on and simply topcoated, but I dont believe that to have been the case. So, hopefully since youre matching, you have a real piece to replicate. I do not envy you here!!!!. Good luck my friend!.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I recently had a customer want the same finish.... theirs was a Kraftmaid cabinet. All I had to work from was a photo of the door. Well, the difference between the photo and the actual door was amazing. I went in search of a door (lowes etc) and learned certain vendors have certain finishes (much like appliances). I was never able to find the exact same finish since it was through a "high end" cabinet retailer. Long story short, we decided on a completely different finish regimen since it was a different room. I did A LOT of test pieces however. Had I seen the actual Kraftmaid cabinet that was ultimately supplied, I think I could have matched it with the method youre suggesting. It appeared from the photos the finish color was wiped on and simply topcoated, but I dont believe that to have been the case. So, hopefully since youre matching, you have a real piece to replicate. I do not envy you here!!!!. Good luck my friend!.
We are doing the whole house, large new home on a horse ranch. The builder is entering the home for county awards, he has won a few gold medals before. The kitchen perimeter cabinets are the finish as per the link below, supplied by one of our manufacturers.

I had to build the range hood, floating shelf and some posts, these being the items needing the same finish.

https://cnccabinetry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/cnc-richmond-door-stone-150x300.jpg

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
We are doing the whole house, large new home on a horse ranch. The builder is entering the home for county awards, he has won a few gold medals before. The kitchen perimeter cabinets are the finish as per the link below, supplied by one of our manufacturers.

I had to build the range hood, floating shelf and some posts, these being the items needing the same finish.

https://cnccabinetry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/cnc-richmond-door-stone-150x300.jpg
that finish seems all the rage currently "50 shades of gray"?...... Looking at the picture, the grain looks like its holding dark tones like an open grained wood might. Not sure how you can tone that on. Im guessing youre using soft maple.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
that finish seems all the rage currently "50 shades of gray"?...... Looking at the picture, the grain looks like its holding dark tones like an open grained wood might. Not sure how you can tone that on. Im guessing youre using soft maple.

Yes, Soft Maple. The cabinets are Birch, so to get an exact match may not be possible. Will play with it tomorrow.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS