Tonight's bowl/HF lathe update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
(To skip the Harbor Freight story, scroll down to the pictures)

Last night I spoke to my Dad about the HF lathe motor burning up on Monday night. He told me to return it and come to Charlotte and he would pay the difference in price to get a comparable lathe that would be more dependable. So of course, the wheels started turning. :eusa_thin Tracy and Dave both seem to like their Shop Fox lathes that they bought/won from Rick in Mooresville, so I figured I'd go that route.

I got off work a little early today, took the truck home and loaded up the burned out lathe and headed to HF, armed with receipts and my game face. :cool: I spoke to the manager and told him what happened and he agreed to refund me my money. :icon_cheers Then when I got up to actually do it, they said that because I purchased it with a gift card that they could only refund me with a gift card, which would do nothing as far as putting that money toward another lathe. :BangHead: I said everything I could think of, but the manager insisted that that was the only way they could refund me my money. They didn't have any new ones in stock, neither did the Raleigh store and their distributor/warehouse didn't have any in stock either, which means it would probably be a WHILE before I got a new one. :eusa_thin

So I walked back and took a look at the floor model. It had no tail stock and the tool rest was missing all of the knobs, but I figured I'd give it a shot. We wheeled that one back to the warehouse and plugged it in. It seemed to run fine. I wrapped my fingers in my shirt and grabbed the face plate to see how much torque it had, but it was hard to tell. The variable speed wasn't working very well and on the lower speed it seemed like it didn't have any torque. So I asked the manager if I could take it and the tail stock and tool rest (and all the other parts) and give it a shot. He said that would be fine and if it didn't work, then bring it back and he'll get me a new one as soon as possible. :eusa_thin I agreed and took it home and pretty much picked up where I left off on Monday night. The variable speed doesn't work that well, but it is somewhere in the range that I need. It had torque and seemed to work pretty well.

I have made bowls for a few folks so far, but haven't made one for Christy yet. She was at the top of my list (and every other list :embaresse) so I made this one for her. QS Sycamore, via DaveO, via Touchwood. Thank you so much guys! :notworthy: Finish is BLO and wax

trentpics_152.jpg

trentpics_156.jpg

This wood turned very well and looks great. I need to practice my recesses and that one part at the bottom of the curve on the inside of the bowl. And I need to get better at finishing. :icon_thum

Thanks for looking,

Trent :wsmile:

Rob

New User
Rob
Trent, it's amazing how fast you've got bowls down, looks awesome. I still have problems doing bowls, too aggressive with the chisel.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Sweet Trent, I like the form on that. I was wondering what the QS Sycamore would look like turned. Pretty nice in my eyes.
To be a PITA, I would say that even if you bought the original lathe on a gift card, the money has been paid for it. Forcing you to use the rebate to purchase from them again is wrong in my book, especially when you received a poor product initially. They should have given you your money back.
I really hope that the new HF lathe works out well for you. I feel bad that I have recommended it to so many and now folks are having issues with it.

Dave:)

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice job on the bowl, Trent.:icon_thum If the "new" lathe isn't what it's supposed to be, I would make them fix it to your satisfaction. :kamahlitu

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Great looking bowl. I am glad that things worked out for you.

Tracy,

Looks like we'll be in Charlotte two weekends from now (14'th and 15'th). If it is convenient for you, let's meet up and have a beer. :eek:ccasion1 Thank you so much brother. :icon_thum
Trent, it's amazing how fast you've got bowls down, looks awesome. I still have problems doing bowls, too aggressive with the chisel.

Thanks so much Rob. I'm a LONG way from having bowls down, I have a ton of practice to do. Bowls are my passion on the lathe. There's nothing like taking a cylinder and turning it into a bowl. Every one that I finish I look at and study and try to figure out how to make the next one better.

Sweet Trent, I like the form on that. I was wondering what the QS Sycamore would look like turned. Pretty nice in my eyes.
To be a PITA, I would say that even if you bought the original lathe on a gift card, the money has been paid for it. Forcing you to use the rebate to purchase from them again is wrong in my book, especially when you received a poor product initially. They should have given you your money back.
I really hope that the new HF lathe works out well for you. I feel bad that I have recommended it to so many and now folks are having issues with it.

Dave,

I can't agree with you more, and I had the RECEIPT for the giftcard. He told me the only way to get money back from a giftcard is to return it to the same store on the same day. :no: Even when they didn't have a replacement in stock and their distributor didn't have one in stock, he wouldn't do it. I could go on for centuries. I believe that guy, but I wonder, if I was a friend or family member of his, I bet he could get them their money back. :eusa_thin

Don't beat yourself up for giving the HF lathe a good review though. If it worked for you, you have no reason to tell people otherwise. You call 'em like you see 'em. Me too. Seems like that one is a hit or miss and you got a Grand SLAM! Good on ya. :icon_thum

Nice job on the bowl, Trent.:icon_thum If the "new" lathe isn't what it's supposed to be, I would make them fix it to your satisfaction.

Thanks Randy. :icon_thum Believe me, I will. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Thanks so much folks. This is definitely a learnin experience. I really appreciate your words of encouragement and advice. :notworthy:

Trent

William Roscoe

New User
William
I have a grizzly 0462 lathe and was told the motor always runs hot. Now that the 1 yr. warranty has expired, the motor has burned up. I called Grizzly and they said they have replaced that motor due to this problem, but not for me since my warranty has run out:BangHead:. Even worse, the replacement motors are not here yet and they don't know when they'll get here or how much they will cost.:dontknow:. I'm thinking of buying a bigger and better lathe. I was thinking of a powermatic but the Grizzly 0694 is cheaper but it's a grizzly and you see how they are:roll:. Any thoughts???

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
William,

I feel your pain. :BangHead: Believe me, if I could afford a bigger/and/or better lathe, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I'm sorry to hear about the motor burning up on you. As far as the choice between Grizz and Powermatic goes, I know that a lot of folks have Grizzly machines and are very happy with them. The same goes for Powermatic. I'd get the best one that you can afford. Hopefully someone will chime in here soon with more specific advice. Best of luck with the dilehma. :icon_thum

Trent

reprosser

New User
Rick
What a PITA. Sorry for the troubles, but you seem to making the best of it...

Good job on the bowl - nice looking wood.

As far as the gift card refund, I can understand why they would want to take that approach, since the money is locked into their pocket in the gift card - but if they refund cash, you can go elsewhere and spend it. It kinda sucks, but it is part of the gift card scheme.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hey dude, nice looking bowl. Looks like you're really getting the hang of bowl turning. Now you need to come over and give me a lesson.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hey Charles! :eek:ccasion1

Man, I can't thank you enough for letting me borrow the chuck and the dvds. Those have definitely helped speed the process up. How have you been doing? I've been thinking about you man. Gonna be out of town all weekend, but maybe I can come by one night next week and we can turn a bowl. :eusa_thin Just let me know. And if you need the chuck and dvds back, just let me know. I might be able to afford one now. :rotflm:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Nice looking bowl!
Hate you're having the lathe issues. Hope the current lathe works out for you.
I abhor gift cards. they are a major pita to me.
I've found that a lot of stores "DATE" their gift cards. Some start losing value in a matter of months, and some just expire. What's up with that?
I lost one from best buy (best buy somewhere else, imo) and one day found it in my truck under the console liner. Sheesh Didn't know it even came out.
They told me the gift card expired... So they get free money, someone who gave me the card got a warm feeling with good intentions, and I got the useless 'souvenier' card.
LOML has worked in retail most of her life. Stores count on a percentage of gift cards never being redeemed.
A local grocery has a free change counter- IF you take your payout in a gift card from one of a few stores, one of which is Circuit City. Better use that one quick! :3dblob3:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors