To rebuild an old unisaw or buy a new cabinet style saw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-red

New User
JR
That is my present quandry. I would like to upgrade my current saw setup (delta contractor) with a genuine cabinet saw. Older unisaws can be found for around $400-500 and after watching the popular woodworking video's on table saw restoration i think it could be a fun project resulting in a quality, accurate saw. I am aware of some of the issues involved in such a project (i.e. motor styles, etc). and that there would be some expense in the project above the initial saw cost.
Perhaps i am not aware of all of the issues, though and welcome the advice of any others who have posed a similar question to themselves.

Thanks in advance for your help.
jr

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Google "The Saw Center." On their web site is a section on rebuilding a Unisaw. Time well spent, IMHO

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Depending on the condition of an old Unisaw, you may not have to do much to it. About 10 years ago I bought a 1982 edition Unisaw at an auction for $200. All I had to do was replace the key on the motor arbor that holds the pulley in place. Runs like a dream, and I use it virtually every day. Oh, it also came w/ a 52" beismeyer fence. :icon_thum

Good luck.

Bill

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I rebuilt a 56 Uni this past winter. There are just a couple things you need to know before you start. the main problem I had was putting in the new arbor bearings. no hammers!! also you will need a press if you change out the motor bearings. overall it is the best saw if you are on a budget and you will get tons of satisfaction and will know your saw inside and out. look at OWWM.org email if you need a hand or info

j-red

New User
JR
Thanks for the input. I think this could be a very enjoyable project. Now to find a donor saw... Any ideas of where to look?

Sully

New User
jay
craigslist, yard sales, auctions are all good places to pickup cabinet saws. There's also the classifieds right here on NCWW.

J -- as a shameless plug I will mention that I will be listing a cabinet saw in the next day or so, once I return from the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors