Titebond Liquid Hide Glue

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am getting ready to assemble a fairly large cabinet (for me) and am contemplating glue open time to complete the assembly. Not getting any younger and trying to assemble a 60"x 28" cabinet with multiple partitions will probably take me awhile to clamp and ensure overall squareness of the project.

I have always used Titebond II or III and always had success. Looking at Titebond Lquid Hide Glue which advertises a open time of up to 1 hr. Has anyone else here used this new version of Titebond for cabinet glue ups? Is it as strong as Titebond II and as easy to use?

Thanks

Wayne

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
My recommendation for liquid hide glue is Old Brown Glue that Patrick Edwards promotes. My first experience with liquid hide glue was Titebond's version. Could be I got an old bottle, but it didn't dry so well. That is not the case with OBG. It works very well, only you will need to warm the glue before using.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm a big fan of Dap Weldwood plastic resin glue. Its an annoyance to mix but it gives a wonderful open time for a complicated glue-up. It does take 24 hours for full cure but after 12 hours or so the clamps can be safely taken off. I was getting a good squeeze out while the last few clamps were installed and during the glue up, I could bump and tap easily for final positioning.

1   glue up - 1.jpg

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Another vote for OBG. I keep in fridge and have used as long as 2 years after expiration & still good.

It does have to be warmed.

Plastic resin is a bloody mess, I wouldn't recommend it other than laminations.

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Another vote for OBG. I keep in fridge and have used as long as 2 years after expiration & still good.

It does have to be warmed.

Plastic resin is a bloody mess, I wouldn't recommend it other than laminations.

Have you ever tried heating in a microwave for just long enough to get it flowing (not boiling it of course) then inverting it a few times to even the heat/viscosity ? I know Titebond / PVA glues are easily/quickly heated in microwaves w/o issue and other hydrolyzed collagen products can be microwaved. This only takes a few seconds vs keeping a hot bath...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS