Tip for cleaning table saw blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I found this tip in Woodworker's Journal eZine Issue 356 that showed up in my inbox this morning, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Public/TricksoftheTrade.aspx.

Fundamentally it's just soaking your gummed up blade in a 50/50 mix of water and laundry detergent for at least 30 minutes to loosen up the deposits and then brushing it with a nylon brush to remove the gunk.

So I was in the shop today doing some turning to play around with hand cutting box threads and decided to soak one of my gummed up table saw blades in 50/50 water and Tide liquid laundry detergent. Since I was busy at the lathe the blade soaked for a couple of hours. A little light brushing with a stiff bristle nylon brush and it was clean as a whistle. Rinsed it off, dried it and sprayed it down with some CRC 3-36 to prevent rust and it was back in business.

Worked like a champ and the cost was minimal.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I like to use easyoff oven cleaner and a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I soak several at a time in a shallow tray. I've also soaked several in 50/50 mix of diesel and automatic transmission fluid (my homemade WD40). But they say it's not a good idea because the chemicals will damage the carbide tip brazing.

I may try your suggestion next time I need to clean several blades. We haven't had any store bought laundry detergent around here for a long time. My wife makes her own so it may or may not work.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I'd also heard/read that oven cleaner and simple green could weaken the adhesive holding the carbide tooth on. I've also done the laundry detergent method though you I don't think a 50/50 mix is necessary.

I like to use easyoff oven cleaner and a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I soak several at a time in a shallow tray. I've also soaked several in 50/50 mix of diesel and automatic transmission fluid (my homemade WD40). But they say it's not a good idea because the chemicals will damage the carbide tip brazing.

I may try your suggestion next time I need to clean several blades. We haven't had any store bought laundry detergent around here for a long time. My wife makes her own so it may or may not work.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found this tip in Woodworker's Journal eZine Issue 356 that showed up in my inbox this morning, http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/Public/TricksoftheTrade.aspx.

Fundamentally it's just soaking your gummed up blade in a 50/50 mix of water and laundry detergent for at least 30 minutes to loosen up the deposits and then brushing it with a nylon brush to remove the gunk.

So I was in the shop today doing some turning to play around with hand cutting box threads and decided to soak one of my gummed up table saw blades in 50/50 water and Tide liquid laundry detergent. Since I was busy at the lathe the blade soaked for a couple of hours. A little light brushing with a stiff bristle nylon brush and it was clean as a whistle. Rinsed it off, dried it and sprayed it down with some CRC 3-36 to prevent rust and it was back in business.

Worked like a champ and the cost was minimal.
I wonder if brand makes a difference?
Tide versus All versus ??? and what about generic laundry detergent?

I know Trane recommends soaking the elements of electronic filter in dish washing detergent, I wonder if cascade would work?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Just be sure to use cold water so the tablesaw blade doesn't shrink. :p

Seriously, I don't have a clue whether detergent brand matters or not. I used Tide because that's what we had on hand and it worked fine for me. I used a 50/50 mix because that's what the tip read. I doubt it's critical. I saved off the mix to reuse. How many times can it be reused? Who knows? I'm sure it depends on things like how dirty the blades are and how often they need to be cleaned.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Dish washer detergents are pretty harsh compared to hand washing detergents. Dish washer detergents can etch glass and even dull knives. I have no idea if it would damage a table saw blade though, other than possibly dulling the carbide tips.

Pete

I wonder if brand makes a difference?
Tide versus All versus ??? and what about generic laundry detergent?

I know Trane recommends soaking the elements of electronic filter in dish washing detergent, I wonder if cascade would work?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'd also heard/read that oven cleaner and simple green could weaken the adhesive holding the carbide tooth on. I've also done the laundry detergent method though you I don't think a 50/50 mix is necessary.

Any QUALITY saw blade should have the tips brazed on. Oven cleaner isn't going to weaken that, Ive used oven cleaner without issue for years.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I think Chris is right. Don't we have a chemist around that could give us the chemical why's...:icon_scra
Any QUALITY saw blade should have the tips brazed on. Oven cleaner isn't going to weaken that, Ive used oven cleaner without issue for years.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

this thread has come up before on many forums. the thought is that caustic alkali agents like lye (i.e. oven cleaner) can eat away at the brazing (sliver?) and thus weaken the attachment; however, many folks report doing it w/o ill effects. YMMV. IMO is a bit of a machismo thing to use a sledgehammer to drive in a nail when a smaller hammer will suffice.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
Here is the word from Freud. Some other blade manufacturers have expressed the same.

Definitely avoid oven cleaner and other caustics. They attack the cobalt binder in the carbide and can lead to carbide failure (translates to tiny missiles of carbide at 100+ mph). Also, Freud and some other brands of blades have a tri-metal brazing foil that uses copper alloy for a cushioning layer. The copper can also be affected by these cleaners (translates to larger missiles of carbide). We recommend soaking overnight in kerosene in a vented container and using a stiff nylon bristle brush to clean. Teflon coated plates will clean up with a soapy cloth (except for the teeth as mentioned earlier). There are commercial blade cleaning products that are not caustic but we don't officially sanction them.

The manufacturers of Simple Green recommend NOT USING their standard product for carbide tool cleaning. They have a metal cleaning formula that is safe to use. Freud recommends using kerosene.

Charles M.
Freud, Inc.

CLOSE QUOTE

Howie.......

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Kerosene is cheap and can probably be used several times before it's no good anymore. I'll have to give one of the above mentions cleaning tips a try this week and see how it works.

Red

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hit the Dollar Tree and buy a bottle of Awesome spray cleaner. It's only a buck. I use a couple of five gallon bucket lids, one to put blade into, spray with Awesome, then cover with other lid. Wait five minutes, then with scrub brush (also from Dollar Tree) clean blade, then rinse with water. Dry blade, and spray down with my secret "top saver" spray mixture, which isn't much of a secret.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I just did the 50/50 water and laundry detergent mix, let it soaked for a couple of hours, lightly scrubbed and rinsed. It did a really good job. I'm impressed.

Red

MagGeorge

New User
George
Will this work on bandsaw blades? I have one or two blade on my shop with heavy resin gum up. Should try this.

Charles Neil

New User
charles
Krud Kutter non toxic, non caustic works super well. been using it for years Lowes has it , will also clean an oven, or even a burn on a drum sander paper,

BWSmith

New User
BW
"Clean an oven"......but,but.There's a chocolate pie in,as we speak.350* for exactly 38 minutes,home made crust that tastes like a simple sugar cookie.It's a toss up between Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.......as a topping?

BWSmith

New User
BW
A little "before" action.....

Attachments

• 100_2397.jpg
    100_2397.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors